1. Default Motels between Sequoia and Vegas?

Hi,

I have read dozens of threads relating to this road trip so hope I am not covering old ground. We are coming over from England in early April, and will be travelling from San Francisco to Vegas. After a couple of days' sightseeing in Yosemite, we plan to leave Oakhurst and arrive in Sequoia around mid-morning. This will give us the rest of the day to see General Sherman etc. The next morning we will head towards Vegas, via Death Valley, and the route past Lake Isabella and Ridgecrest was recommended. As we need to be in Vegas sometime the following day, we would like to split this journey and stay overnight somewhere around mid-way, maybe in Ridgecrest or closer to Death Valley. Can anyone suggest somewhere we could stay, as I like to book in advance wherever possible?

Many thanks,

Jayne
    Last edited by The Parkers; 02-06-2008 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Spelling error!

Default If you have the coin.... Furnace Creek Inn!

Quote Originally Posted by The Parkers View Post
    We are coming over from England in early April, and will be travelling from San Francisco to Vegas.
    Thanks for taking the time to read so many of the threads -- as it turns out, there are about 1457 threads that address this very route currently active on the Forum, but welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum (& thanks for figuring out how to post herein). Your route looks fine, well thought out. You can stay in Ridgecrest -- there are several motels on the main highway, but the Furnace Creek Inn is one of my favorite hotels in the world. The Furnace Creek Ranch is an acceptable choice as a motel as well. Both are located in the heart of Death Valley National Park.

If you want stop before Ridgecrest -- Lake Isabella has many fine choices, here is a list. I have stayed at Whispering Pines Lodge -- very nice.

Mark

3. Default

Hello again,

Thank you for your quick response and good advice. Furnace Creek Inn looks wonderful but doesn't have any rooms for the night we require, so I looked at Ridgecrest. This seems favourite, but could you tell me roughly the distance/driving time between Ridgecrest and Las Vegas (via Death Valley)? We need to do this trip in one day, allowing for photo-stops, and hope to arrive on the Strip by 4 or 5 p.m. Is this possible or should we try to put a few more miles behind us the day before, and stay just past Death Valley?

Thanks,

Jayne

you should be able to do this in 4 1/2 -5 hours plus stopping time depending on your route. we travelled from vegas to lake isabella in the same day in a 30ft r.v.,with time for photo stops along the way, lunch at furnace creek and a couple of short walks to the sand dunes and zabriske point,but not enough time to really explore the place.

Default Two hours from Furnace Creek

Quote Originally Posted by The Parkers View Post
    Is this possible or should we try to put a few more miles behind us the day before, and stay just past Death Valley?
    It is almost exactly two hours from Furnace Creek to the Strip, so it doesn't make much sense to stop anywhere east of Death Valley -- in fact the only place with a range of motels is Pahrump.... I still think you ought to stay at Lake Isabella or Ridgecrest so you can enjoy your limited time in Death Valley the next day on your way to Las Vegas!

Mark