1. Default Spokane to Glacier to Jackson Hole, help!

Hi all;

I took a fly/drive road trip last year in the southwest and used the advise from this forum. It was our best vacation yet. (Thank you!!) Now I'm looking for more help.

This year, we want to fly from St Louis to Spokane, then drive...for about a week and a half or so, back home.

Day one, Spokane to Glacier National Park,

Day 2, south to Yellowstone,

Day 3-6 Jackson Hole.

Then east to Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Badlands.
    Then home to STL

More of a tourist trip with three kids, not so much intense hiking etc.

Then home. This is the beginning of the planning, so all is very loose, and able to change anything. Any thoughts? Thanks, Johnc IL

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default What a fun trip!

Welcome back to the RTA forums! I'm glad we were of big help for your last trip and that you had a great time.

Your trip is going to be about 2300 miles (not counting, of course, the extra miles you'll put on meandering and exploring). We generally recommend that you don't travel more than about 500 miles per day in order to have time to explore along the way. However, I think in your case you can easily plan about 500-600 miles for the last day. Why not do a mini-speed run right before you get home and are driving through more familiar territory, or at least places it's more easy to get to for a short weekend jaunt? This will allow you 9 days to travel about 1800. This is a very nice pace. You would only need to average 200 miles per day leaving you plenty of time to explore and play.

I suggest you get reservations in the Yellowstone/Jackson Hole areas but I think you might be able to wing it the rest of your trip.

You might enjoy reading this terrific roadtrip report by Peter Thody about things to see in Idaho. Mr. Thody blessed us with another roadtrip report about South Dakota. I think you'll find there's more there to see than you might have thought.

Well, you're off to a good start with a great, general itinerary. What else can we help you with?

3. Default Slight itinerary change. Salt Lake to Yellowstone

Thanks, Judy.

That mileage info is good info. I have a change in the itinerary though, (already). We're now going to fly into Salt Lake City, then head up to Jackson Hole and Yellowstone. I got a pretty good deal on a flight, and decided to shave off a few driving miles.

Anyway, with that trip in mind, any must see highways or sights between Salt Lake, Jackson, Yellowstone, Colorado and Rushmore will be appreciated!

Thanks again!