Thread: Fall rental

williedn459 Guest

Default Fall rental

My Wife and I are currently in the planning process of a Sept. trip thru NM, AZ, CO, UT & WY. First timers at this so any advice will be welcomed. Planning to rent a class C' RV and are planning stops along the way at museums, shops etc...she is worried about getting around / parking a class C" motorhome at places - the ease of parking it and finding spots to park it - and insists that we tow a little car with us. I don't look forward to towing a vehicle the whole way, especially thru mountain passes and just want to use the RV to go everywhere in. Any comments, suggestions on this matter? See RV's all the time w/o a car behind it so they must be able to park them at spots w/o any problem. Thank You....Willie

Default Sounds like an epic trip!

Welcome to the Roadtrip America forums!

My Wife and I are currently in the planning process of a Sept. trip thru NM, AZ, CO, UT & WY. First timers at this so any advice will be welcomed. Planning to rent a class C' RV and are planning stops along the way at museums, shops etc...she is worried about getting around / parking a class C" motorhome at places - the ease of parking it and finding spots to park it - and insists that we tow a little car with us. I don't look forward to towing a vehicle the whole way, especially thru mountain passes and just want to use the RV to go everywhere in. Any comments, suggestions on this matter? See RV's all the time w/o a car behind it so they must be able to park them at spots w/o any problem. Thank You....Willie
    Yes, you see RVs all the time without a car towed behind it (called a toad). However, this doesn't mean that parking can easily be done without any problems. There are some places that cater to RVs and do have large RV parking spaces. These make life easy for RVs! But you won't find these everywhere. There will definitely be some places where parking will be an issue.

But is the answer to this problem to tow a car? Not in my book. To me, this only makes sense for those who are either full-timing it in their RV or going on trips for many more weeks/months than you are. And as you're traveling down the road, if you see someplace you want to visit that doesn't offer RV parking, what good does a toad do you? You will still have to find a place to park the RV, unhook the toad, and then drive over in the toad. Of course, you do have an option of leaving your RV at your campground to do daytrips.

However, I question if that will work out well for you with your itinerary. I say that because you are planning on visiting NM, AZ, CO, UT & WY in a one-month trip. That's a lot of miles. What all do you plan to see? Where do you plan to stop and explore? Hmmmm...with that itinerary I'm just not seeing that much time for many multi-day stops where leaving your RV in a campground for a daytrip makes sense.

I could be wrong on that. If you want, please post your itinerary here so we can offer you suggestions on that. I just think biting off that big of a trip on your first RV trip sounds like a big bite to chew. Driving an RV can be more tiring than driving a car. Especially if you're not used to it. You might find those miles a real challenge.

You might consider an alternate RV to rent as a solution to your problem. Have you looked at the Class B's? For a short, one-month trip they should give you plenty of room to stretch out, store your belongings, and have the amenities needed to sleep/cook/etc. on the road. Plus, they are smaller, easier to drive, and far more maneuverable. You can park them in most any parking lot or drive them on most any road where larger RVs fear to tread. Just an idea.

williedn459 Guest

Default tow or no tow

Our trip will be mainly one night stays and then back on the road again. The only extended stays will be Yellowstone Natl. Park, Vegas. Mesa AZ and Colorado Springs. This will be our first trip so going to be a learning experience for the both of us, thats why we're doing as much research and planning now to get ready for it. Did find out that if we tow our car it will have to go by trailer so now thinking that at the long stays we will go with Enterprise and just rent a car at those locations. The money we save on gas mileage by not towing a vehicle will help toward the rental. We also plan a "shakedown" trip in July, quick trip to the Texas coast to get the feel of driving an RV and everything else about using it. Looking forward to getting out there and seeing the sights...Thanks, Willie