1. Default Driving Left to Right (LA-NYC) in February

I'm moving back to the right coast...haha..the cold coast! I'll be leaving the last week of February and looking for advice, tips, cautions, etc.. I've seen a bunch of old posts, but I figure some of you may have some current info.

I'm leaning towards driving along Rt40 until Tenn then head north to NYC. I'm shooting for 5 days, but have the time to go over if necessary due to weather. I'm shipping my goods so it will just be 2 drivers, my puppy and our trip needs packed in the trunk.

The usual concerns:
    1. Rt40 - best option for end of February? Rt10 seems too far south...
    2. Recommended pit stops?
    3. Estimated cost? According to fuelcostcalculator.com, it's estimated to cost me about $312 to drive my Sentra from LA-NY (2763 miles)so that's a good start.
    4. Puppy concerns? I guess we'll be eating a lot of fast food in the car since places aren't going to let him inside and it will be too cold to eat outside.

Any/all help would be appreciated!!!

Default Just Some Thoughts

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I-40 is a perfectly good route for a transcontinental route. It does get up to 4-5,000 feet in elevation at times, but there are no mountains or passes until you get to the Appalachians. On the other hand, taking I-10 only adds a couple hundred miles to the trip. So keep both in your hip pocket until you see what the weather holds. Overnight stops will depend not only on which route you end up taking, but what your driving style is, and on such unknowns and unpredictable as how your puppy adapts to such a long time in the car. My rule-of-thumb cost for such a trip would be around $500 on top of the gas. You should end up within $100 of that without too much trouble. Now, the one thing I would urge you to change about your plans is regarding eating at fast food joints and not letting the puppy outside. When I traveled with my dog. there was never anywhere that he found too cold. In fact he loved walking with me through the Maine woods in winter and digging in drifts for snowballs I would throw. Your puppy needs exercise far more than he needs the warmth found in the cage that will be your car. Make use of state and local parks. Don't rely on the constrained 'pet exercise areas' at rest stops. They are not really for exercise. Pack a cooler for yourself and eat healthily yourself. Get a long, light leash for the puppy so he can wander a bit while you eat without getting too far away.

AZBuck

3. Default

AZBuck, your info was great. Thank you!

I'm not opposed to Rt10 like you mentioned and will realistically make my route decision the day/two before we leave since we are flexible on the time. And you're right, at that point, a few hundred more miles won't make that much of a difference (crazy how that sounds!).

I didn't mean not to let the puppy out to eat, I meant more we won't really be able to eat in restaurants because I won't leave the puppy alone in the car. I agree he's going to needs tons of excersise just to survive the long drives. I have a 30ft leash we use for training which I will have so I can "let him go" to run around when we find areas/parks. He actually loves the cold and RAIN.

Packing food for the first day plus snacks for the rest of the trip is a definite.

Hotels - I've been compiling a list of hotels (holiday inn express, comfort, motel6, etc) that accept dogs and we'll see how we feel/when/where we decide to stop.

My estimation per websites, previous blogs, etc:

Gas - $350 (312 per the fuel calc site)
    Hotel - $75/night x 4 nights = $300
    Food - $40/day x 5 days = $200 (minus 1 day if we pack the first day but stil)
    Total - $850

Do you think that's a decent rough estimate???

Default Puppies on the road

Quote Originally Posted by bubah View Post
    I didn't mean not to let the puppy out to eat, I meant more we won't really be able to eat in restaurants because I won't leave the puppy alone in the car.
    Good point -- here are some more tips about this journey.
    Hotels - I've been compiling a list of hotels (holiday inn express, comfort, motel6, etc) that accept dogs and we'll see how we feel/when/where we decide to stop.
    Just about all of the major chains accept dogs -- but sometimes there can be pet deposits -- so your budget of $75 per night might be low -- $99 a night will be more realistic. Food at $40 per day might be low if it includes the puppy food -- you will need to eat well for this solo run. $50 per day minimum, but I still think your budget is OK +/- $150

Mark