Default Louisiana Highway 1

Anyone ever driven this road? I've got the day off tomorrow and was thinking about taking this road. I'd probably only make it as far as St. Francisville (although I'd love to get to Grand Isle - hmmm maybe I could come in late on Thursday). I've driven the road from New Orleans to Grand Isle but that was probably two/three years before Katrina, so I'm not sure how much has changed.

Laura

Default St. Francisville

I am so going to the Myrtles Plantation tomorrow. I had forgotten about all the supposed hauntings arounds St. Franciville, LA. Awesome. If I don't make it back then I've been captured by an antebellum ghost of some sort.

Laura

Default Stray Neuron Firings

I actually have a vivid memory from the old TV show Route 66 of Tod and Buzz traveling down LA-1 to Grand Isle. Don't worry, Laura, you're much too young to remember such things. But that road through the bayous intrigued me and it and/or the equally fascinating LA-23 down the Mississippi Delta to Venice are still on my To Do list. Let me know how your trip went.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 02-06-2008 at 10:33 AM.

Default Pictures Are Up

Cane River Heritage Trip

I'll put up a report soon, but just wanted to let you see what I saw. And yes I will explain the whole monkey issue in my report. Or rather he will.

Laura

Default LA1 N.O. to Grand Isle

Buck,

Somewhere - way before I owned a digital camera - I have pictures of the drive from N.O. to Grand Isle. Most of what I remember was the shrimp boats in the water that ran alongside the road. The road had shrimp boats parked on one side and houses on the other. Rather cool. I wonder how it looks today.

Although the drive unfortunately reminded me of the hideous treck I made when they evacuated N.O. for Hurricaine Georges and it took me 14 hours to get to Shreveport. It was my first real indication of things to come with roadtripping off the beaten path. I pulled out a map and dove off the evacuation route. Can't imagine how long it would have taken us if I hadn't done that. I'd love to drive that road again if I could ever remember which one it was. There was literally water up to the road, not over it, but there was no place to pull off the road. You'd be in the swamp. It could have possibly been US Highway 61, but I'm really not sure.

Laura