1. Default Want to go on a road trip....

Hello!
    My sister and I are planning on a road trip from California to Salem Massachusetts and back. We will both be 18 and taking my car, which we are both insured on. I have a '99 Camry, and with freeway i can usually get 500 miles per fill up. The total millage for the trip was roughly 3200 miles. We are calling it our "Haunted road trip" because we want to stop and look at old hauntings and stuff like that. Our destination is Salem, for the witch trials. We plan on making this an easy 2 week drive so we can take it slow and not have to drive straight through such beautiful states. The question is...money!
    we are not very big eaters, just three meals a day and maybe a small snack will do it. We would like it EXTREMELY cheap when it comes to sleeping, so a campground, or very cheap motel....or my car, lol....Anywhoo. We think it will cost about $1500-$2000....is that a good amount or should it be more?
    Last edited by rupert_grint_is_mine; 02-02-2008 at 01:46 PM.

Default How are you getting back?

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You've laid out what what sounds like a one way trip, but I would think you have to eventually go back to California?

I think your budget is going to be on the low side, even if this trip is one way. I'd estimate you'll need about $650 just for fuel. If you are making this a round trip, then you don't even have enough money for gas.

If you spend most of your nighs camping, with an occational night in a motel you are looking at another $400 dollars for 14 days. That means, even on a one way trip, you'll have already reached your budget and you haven't yet spent a dime on meals, admission fees, or other misc items.

14 days would be plenty of time to slowly enjoy yourself going across the country, but if this is a round trip, you won't have much time to look around. You'll be able to cover the distance in that time, but it won't be the easy 2 weeks, take it slow, kind of trip you say you want.

Default Too Low by Half

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I tend to travel pretty cheaply (at least when I'm on my own), taking only two meals a day, staying at low to moderate cost motels, and making extensive use of free and minimum entry fee attractions. But even at that, my round figure cost for such a trip would be in the neighborhood of $1500. You plan to double the number of people and wander around a fair bit. I would think that $2000 would be more of a minimum cost than $1000. You can go through this discussion of budgeting to get a better idea of what you'll need money for and roughly how much. Just keep in mind that there is a point below which frugality will start to seriously erode the 'fun' portion of this trip. To keep this in perspective, the budget you have is the equivalent of trying to live on an income of $12,000 per year. That's pretty near if not below poverty level.

AZBuck

4. Default Want to go on a road trip....

but i don't know the first thing about planning one!!!!! I want to just go, anywhere!!!! there is just something inside me that just wants to be set free...you know???

Default Lot of ideas herein

Quote Originally Posted by rupert_grint_is_mine View Post
    but i don't know the first thing about planning one!!!!!
    I would start here and then read some more tips here and all of these will provide ample ideas how to get started.

Mark

6. Default I want to go across the country.

I live in California and want to take a what i like to call my

"Cross country, Soul searching, heart wrenching, pocket emptying, life fulfilling, greasy fast food eating, culture seeking, car sleeping, best time of my life, Road Trip."

I want to take this trip over the summer...i dont care about time limits.
    I just have a few questions

1. How much money should i put towards this trip
    2. is it a good idea to go by myself
    3. what are some amazing things to see between here and the east coast
    4. what are some tips to making this trip amazing??

this will be my first road trip and i want it to be at the very least satisfying....and i over estimating the amazingness of a road trip?

Default This is a self-serve community

Quote Originally Posted by rupert_grint_is_mine View Post
    I just have a few questions
    These seem like the same questions you asked above. We have provided lots of tips and resources.

Now, you have to do some of the work yourself. Read those links, think about what you want to do and accomplish and then come back and ask specific questions if you want. But it is your trip and you have to do this planning work yourself.

Mark

Default You're not "overestimating the amazingness"

We all think roadtrips are amazing experiences. That's why we hang out here! :)

1. How much money should i put towards this trip
    Check out AZBuck's link to budgeting issues. This will give you tips on planning your money needs.

2. is it a good idea to go by myself
    Yes, if you want to. Many of us travel solo at least some of the time. This discussion is full of tips and links to information that should answer your questions about solo travel.

3. what are some amazing things to see between here and the east coast
    What kind of things are you interested in? Natural beauty? History? Amusement parks? Nightlife? It's hard to give specific recommendations without a better understanding of what you enjoy. Also, the route you choose will make a difference. Besides, the USA is pretty darn big. We could write pages about things worth seeing and still not scratch the surface.

You need to do some homework here. I suggest you get a good atlas of the US. Pour over the maps and look for places that intrigue you. Mark them on the map or keep a list. You can easily formulate a route based on what you want to see most.

Once you get some ideas together, come on back here and we can give you some tips and help you tweak things, if needed.

4. what are some tips to making this trip amazing??

this will be my first road trip and i want it to be at the very least satisfying....and i over estimating the amazingness of a road trip?
    The tip to make things amazing is to do the type of trip you want, not what someone else tells you to do. Since it sounds like time isn't an issue, be open to changing your route along the way. Maybe you discover something you never heard of that intrigues you? Then check it out. If you want, stay longer in a place that you love to explore it further. Be flexible. See and do what you want, on your time-table. That's the beauty of a solo trip. You are in control. So, do what you want, explore what you like, linger or not depending on your mood, whatever. Any roadtrip is usually amazing but the more you travel the way YOU like to travel, the more amazing it is.