1. Default NY to LA - advice needed

Hello all, new on here but would like some advice/views.

We live in England are thinking of taking a 4 week trip from New York to Los Angeles with our 2 children who will be 13 and 8 years old when we go. We'd like to take in a few days of theme parks on our way as we all really enjoy them.

We've planned a rough route as follows:
    New York
    Niagara Falls
    Sandusky (for Cedar Point theme park)
    Chicago (maybe 6 Flags theme park)
    Denver (realise that the drive between these two points may be tedious)
    Salt Lake City
    Grand Canyon
    Bryce Canyon
    Las Vegas
    Los Angeles (Disneyland)

Would welcome any suggestions or insight. We'd be going around Easter, so weatherwise would guess it will be quite a range of temperature getting progressively warmer. We're debating the RV vs SUV thing - would it be too cold to camp at that time of year?

Is there anything we should make time for between Chicago and Denver or is it best to just drive as fast as possible from one to the other and use the time in our other destinations? Also, what's the best route from Denver to Salt Lake City? Any suggestions on good theme parks I may have missed - think there's a Wet and Wild in Vegas but not sure what else,

Thanks for any info!

Default Family Road Trips!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Barista View Post
    We live in England are thinking of taking a 4 week trip from New York to Los Angeles with our 2 children who will be 13 and 8 years old when we go
    Sounds like a marvelous holiday -- Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    Denver (realise that the drive between these two points may be tedious)
    Not the sort of comments we truly appreciate around here...You might find this series of articles (written by a UK roadtripper) helpful in thinking about this drive.
    Would welcome any suggestions or insight
    Here are some tips about planning Family roadtrips.
    We'd be going around Easter, so weatherwise would guess it will be quite a range of temperature getting progressively warmer. We're debating the RV vs SUV thing - would it be too cold to camp at that time of year?
    It will be quite brisk for much of your route -- I would probably suggest motels as being the smarter choice.
    Also, what's the best route from Denver to Salt Lake City?
    I-70 or US-50 are the preferred routes on this Forum. But, you might enjoy this side trip -- it is pretty darn awesome in the Spring!
    - think there's a Wet and Wild in Vegas but not sure what else,
    The Wet and Wild was closed about four years ago -- here are some comments about the roller coasters in this area.

Mark

3. Default

Thanks so much for the tips!

Default More research required

Hi,

Sounds like a great trip, but I suggest that you do some further checking with the northern attractions regarding their opening dates. I just checked and found that Cedar Point doesn't open until May 10, almost two months after Easter. Even Six Flags in St. Louis, which is quite a distance further south, doesn't open until April 6.

I suspect that these are typical, so you may want to look into a route further south, or skip those kinds of parks.

There are many, many fascinating, uniquely American places to see regardless which route you take, but picking the best one for you requires a lot of research.

What are your family's interests beyond amusement parks...US history, Revolutionary or Civil wars, the Wild West, Indians, scenery, art, modern culture, railroads, space, sports? This list of possibilities is endless. If you can narrow it down a bit, it will be much easier to suggest some possibilities at that time of year.

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years

Default SUV/RV Tips

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Barista View Post
    Would welcome any suggestions or insight. We'd be going around Easter, so weatherwise would guess it will be quite a range of temperature getting progressively warmer. We're debating the RV vs SUV thing - would it be too cold to camp at that time of year?
    It will be a bit too brisk to tent camp. However, you should be comfortable in an RV as they do have heating units. Basically, you should never consider getting an RV to save money. Rental fees, fuel costs, and campground fees will almost always add up to more money than the costs to rent/fuel a car and stay in hotels. However, the RV experience can be fun so, if your budget isn't a factor, you might want to consider getting an RV. Only you can answer that question. Personally, I prefer RVs when I'm traveling less miles and going to stay-put in one place for awhile vs. a roadtrip when I'm on-the-go most of the trip. But everybody is different.

These articles might help you make a decision on the RV vs. SUV issue:
    How to Rent an RV
    Operating Your Rental RV Safely
    Boondocking Etiquette - you may not decide to do this but it's good to know about in case you find yourself needing to for some reason
    Big Cities in an RV - since you might be driving in these areas with your RV, you might appreciate these tips
    How to Find an RV Campsite
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-05-2008 at 11:06 AM. Reason: removed the endless loop format!