1. Default Chicago to Connecticut

Hello, my family will be taking a week trip to connecticut. Leaving in a couple weeks. Any advice of routes,food stops, anything would be greatly appreciated. Its a trip back home for me but for my partner and our kid, its our first road trip as a family. Want to have fun and its more about our trip then the family we are going to see. In other words we can get lost along the way. J/K Any sites worth seeing or anything would be appreciated.

Tucson, AZ

Default Alternatives

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

One week is just enough to make a round trip to Connecticut. It's at least a couple of days each way, leaving three days to see family and friends. Even at that, though, there is some time to 'get lost' along the way, so here are some alternatives to just getting on I-80 and heading east.

Just after Toledo, head north and follow OH-2 along the Lake Erie shore, possibly making stops at either Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge or Catawba Island State Park. Use the turnpike again to get by Cleveland and Akron, staying with I-80 when it leaves the toll road. Then in Pennsylvania, use I-79 north to US-6, as good a road as there is to get lost on, stopping at places like the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania and generally just enjoying a more relaxing drive. At Scranton, get on I-84 for a while to the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area before finishing up the drive to Connecticut.

Now, there is enough along that drive to fill four days (going and coming) or you could do a similar kind of getting lost type drive coming across the Southern Tier or Finger Lakes regions of New York. If you do most of your driving on these less travelled roads, you won't have all the usual choices of McDonald's, Burger King, Denny's and the like. but you can get good food by stopping in some of the smaller cities and towns and asking the locals where they prefer to eat. It's also a good excuse to get out, walk around, get some exercise, while seeing some of America that you'd never experience from the Interstates.

3. Default Thanks

Wow! I am on my way to check out the links to all you suggested. If I get any more excited about the trip I may burst. You seemed to understand that for me the best part is the drive and the things you can see on your way. I planned on about 3 days with extended family and the rest of the time for us. My partner hasn't been to the east coast so again I thank you for your suggestions. I didn't know Pa. had a Grand Canyon. Thanks again!!