Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Honeymoon (dreamed about for 11 years) October, USA Coast to Coast!

Hi there.. :)

I've been with Jane for 11 years... and we're getting married in September. on the 28th we fly to New York for a few days then spend 18 days driving across the US seeing as many of the places we've always dreamed of seeing.

The full list (as it stands... it will change no doubt over the coming months) as follows..... (copied and pasted from our honeymoon website, too late to be typing all that)

New York - for all the touristy stuff, film locations and just to experience it.
    Washington - Who wouldn't want to see all that iconic stuff, The Whitehouse, Lincoln Memorial and Capitol Hill and so many others.
    Niagara Falls - Well you just have to, don't you?
    Chicago - Blowing into the windy city is one of Jane's big dreams.
    Memphis - Gracelands, Elvis and all that... (for Jane)
    New Orleans - Hurricanes allowing we want to see the place and spend some cash to get that beautiful city get back on it's feet!
    Amarillo - can someone show us the way!! (song reference)
    Colorado Springs- Garden of the gods and Stargate Command (Cheyenne Montain)
    Rapid City - Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse Mountain Memorial
    Devil's Tower - Doo Doo Doo Dur DURRR! (Close Encounters of the 3rd kind - for all you non sci-fi people)
    Yellowstone National Park - Old Faithful and Yogi and Booboo
    Monument Valley - We wanna be in a real life western!
    A few places in Arizona - Including the petrified forest, a meteor crater and possibly Camp Verde
    Las Vegas - Vegas, baby!!! and the surrounding wonders of the Grand Canyon, Valley of Fire and the Hoover Dam. And as close to Area 51 as we can get without being arrested or abducted!!!
    Death Valley - No stopping!!! We don't want to fry, but it's there and you just have to do it if it's there!!!
    Los Angeles - Hollywood and all that, and if the budget stretches a night at the notorious Chateau Marmont.
    Yosemite - via the pacific highway to see El Capitan and then into...
    San Francisco - and a trip over the Golden Gate Bridge and a bit of sight seeing after we return the motorhome. 1 or 2 nights in a hotel, then a long flight home to our newly married life!

I'll be reading through the rest of this forum (what a find) over the coming week, and be getting lot of help no doubt.... and i'll probably be asking some questions. But if anyone has any help.. things we're doing wrong.. places we should be seeing... places to avoid etc.. then we'd love some pointers :)

cheers!

Darren
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 02-02-2008 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Good Neighbor Rules

Default A big plate

You are certainly dreaming big, but I'm not sure you'll really be able to fit all of that in during an 18 day trip. You've marked off 19 stops in 18 days, plus I think you'd be looking at 9-10 days of wall to wall driving just to cover the miles on the freeway. Even if you keep a lot of your stops to drive through and take a couple of pictures, this plan might be more than you can really fit on your plate. A lot of the places you've will require extra time just to get in and around.

It never hurts to start big and list off everything you want, but at some point, you might have to start thinking about priorities and make a few cuts to fit the rest of everything into your timeframe.

Default Cut the destinations in half

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Carnall View Post
    I'll be reading through the rest of this forum (what a find) over the coming week,
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! I would second Michael's advice -- you are trying to fit about twice as many stops as you have days. If you really want to see this country, you need to slow the pace a little. If it were me, I would probably cut out stops, EFG and probably IJK and focus on the +/- central route with a north-south deviation of about 500 miles as you cross the country. Still lots of great places to explore without trying to maintain such an exhausting pace.

A couple of points about this route -- first, as outlined, this route is impossible to complete in the timeline you have set for yourself.
    New York - for all the touristy stuff, film locations and just to experience it.
    Washington - Who wouldn't want to see all that iconic stuff, The Whitehouse, Lincoln Memorial and Capitol Hill and so many others.
    Niagara Falls - Well you just have to, don't you?
    A minimum of four days to get to these places.
    Chicago - Blowing into the windy city is one of Jane's big dreams.
    Two nights minimum from Niagara.
    Memphis - Gracelands, Elvis and all that... (for Jane)
    Need to figure two days with travel time.
    New Orleans - Hurricanes allowing we want to see the place and spend some cash to get that beautiful city get back on it's feet!
    Amarillo - can someone show us the way!! (song reference)
    Again, you probably can't squeeze these in.
    Monument Valley - We wanna be in a real life western!
    A few places in Arizona - Including the petrified forest, a meteor crater and possibly Camp Verde
    Pushing it hard to do all of this in less than three days -- by the way, this is where Grand Canyon needs to placed (it is NOT a day trip from Las Vegas)!
    Las Vegas - Vegas, baby!!! and the surrounding wonders of the Grand Canyon, Valley of Fire and the Hoover Dam. And as close to Area 51 as we can get without being arrested or abducted!!!
    If you are going to see Las Vegas, Hoover Dam and Valley of Fire -- you need to allow 1-2 days minimum plus the day to get here.
    Yosemite - via the pacific highway to see El Capitan and then into...
    San Francisco - and a trip over the Golden Gate Bridge and a bit of sight seeing after we return the motorhome. 1 or 2 nights in a hotel, then a long flight home to our newly married life!
    Um, Yosemite in no where near the coast route -- you can not get to Yosemite by traveling along the Pacific Coast highway. If you want to see both the coastal route AND Yosemite on the way to San Francisco -- you need to allow two full days.

The schedule you outlined, might be possible if you were flying between cities -- but if you actually drove to all of those places, it would take a minimum of ten days (with no sight-seeing) -- by the time you add in spending time enjoying those places, + the days R&R in San Francisco and LA you would need allow at least 25 days.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-03-2008 at 01:15 PM. Reason: more detail about this challenges of this route

Thanks guys. We pretty much accept that places will come and go from our route as we plan things in further detail. It's like you said... better to start big then whittle it down as you look into things further and decide how long you plan to stay in places. Everything has been prioritised here (we've got a book where we make notes about things, and we have everything listed in order of 'Must See' down to 'Would be Nice if we had the Time'. Don't worry we won't be leaving ourselves stranded anywhere. We'll have it all planned down to the last detail before we actually leave in October. (plus if we realise as we're on the road that things are taking longer than we thought... we'll simply alter the route along the way and cut further things out)

Your comments are certainly helpful though. I'll print these out and put them in our road trip book for reference.

A few individual points though...

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    Niagara Falls - Chicago

Two nights minimum from Niagara.
    Two nights? Really? Various online road planners have it down as 560 miles, or 9 hours road time. (and yes, I know this will be a few hours longer with food breaks etc). Why is Chicago two nights away? Is the traffic slower than it should be along there or something that we don't know about?

In one trip here in the UK we went from North Scotland down to the South coast of England (620 miles) in about 12-13 hours.

Chicago - Memphis

Need to figure two days with travel time.
    At this early stage of planning, we'd roughly estimated that we'd spend one day driving between the two (it's 534 miles, or 8 hours constant driving - longer with stops), and staying overnight somewhere nearby.

Monument Valley etc

-- by the way, this is where Grand Canyon needs to placed (it is NOT a day trip from Las Vegas)!
    yeah, I'm not really sure why Jane typed that up on the website as going from Vegas. We know exactly where it is in relation to everything else and what roads we'd take to get from one to the next to the next. I Think she'd just forgotten to type it in then remembered it, so added it there.

Coast Road & Yosemite

Um, Yosemite in no where near the coast route -- you can not get to Yosemite by traveling along the Pacific Coast highway. If you want to see both the coastal route AND Yosemite on the way to San Francisco -- you need to allow two full days.
    The Pacific Coast Highway and Yosemite are two distinct wishes for us, don't worry we don't think they're next to each other or anything. (I guess the way our list was written it makes it sound like "we'll just pop into this place... then ten minutes later we'll pop into this place...." lol, I should probably change the text a little on the site.

This is the route we're talking about. It's about 560 miles, or 11 hours pure road time (again, longer with stops. We're considering staying overnight somewhere halfway up the pacific coast anyway... to deliberately make that part of this trip longer and enjoy our time there more)

Something else that we're going to be considering here (and this is even more appropriate given your 25 day comment) is that Jane is about to switch jobs, and has had permission from her new employer to take 4 weeks if needed... so we may be extending it to 3 days in New York, followed by 25 days on the road.

Either way all the comments hae been useful, and will help us plan this in further detail..... I just need to make time to read through the rest of this forum now!

Thanks guys,

Darren (and Jane)

Default the long road

Two nights? Really? Various online road planners have it down as 560 miles, or 9 hours road time. (and yes, I know this will be a few hours longer with food breaks etc). Why is Chicago two nights away? Is the traffic slower than it should be along there or something that we don't know about?
    There is a couple things you should keep in mind, when you are traveling in an RV, you will be driving a fair bit slower than in a car. You're also going to have to spend more time finding a place to park and navigating within cities.

You can make it from Niagrara to Chicagoland in one long day of driving. However, if you plan to spend any time seeing the city, you'll really need another night. I could see you spending one night just outside Chicago, perhaps at Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, and then your next night just south of the city. But even if you just want to fly through Navy Pier and take a quick look from the top of the Sears Tower or John Hancock building, you'll quickly have used up almost a full day once you get in, out, and around the city.

Another note about Internet map driving time estimates - they are usually off by pretty significant margins. This will be even more true since you'll be in an RV. For example the 11 hours estmated for the trip from LA, up the coast, and then back to Yosemite just isn't even close to realistic. If you can cover that ground in 14 hours, it would be an impressive feat.

ok, taken on board about being slower in an RV, good point there.

As for Chicago... I think I thought you meant it would take 2 days to GET there. We'll certainly be allocating (hopefully enough) time for getting into places... spending time there (we'll decide where we want to spend full days at places, which will require two nights... in order to wake up there... spend the full day looking around... then stay over night and head off first thing in the morning.

Point taken though about the slower RV travelling and internet times being under estimated :)

We've got somewhat of a dilemma in choosing the size of RV to hire. We're coming to the time when we have to book the thing... but we can't decide what size is for the best.

Most of the types offered are I believe called C & B Class, and look like this

[Photo Courtesy of RoadBearRV.com]

The interior space in these is fine for us (we went to a local dealer here in the UK to walk/sit inside some various types), but the driving compartment seems somewhat small... almost like a normal car. The windows are very small. (my eyeline seemed to be almost at the top of the windscreen, so you couldnt see anything 'up'

Whereas the other type, the Class A,is much larger....

[Photo Courtesy of RoadBearRV.com]

The interior of these is obviously great, and the driving area is much better, with huge panoramic windows giving a great 180 degree view, and being able to see lots of sky, and whatever large landscapes we'll be driving through. (it was the larger brighter driving cabin in the Class A that we'd always imagined when driving across america)

However, we've read than in certain places, maybe certain National Parks you can't take in 30' Class A's.... have we got this right?

It would be terrible to get somewhere we want to go, only to find we can't go in there.... however as a driving experience (and a large portion of this is going to be from the road) we can't help but feel the larger view from the Class A would give us much better memories of driving across the country.

Does anyone have any thoughts/opinions? People who have owned/driven both types perhaps?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 02-05-2008 at 10:34 AM. Reason: added photo credits -- please don't "borrow" images again

Default Rumors and more nonsense

We've got somewhat of a dilemma in choosing the size of RV to hire. We're coming to the time when we have to book the thing... but we can't decide what size is for the best.
    Here is an article that discusses the various types of RVs and here is an article about some of the considerations, (and a book about it too!) you might have about renting one and here is a checklist you CERTAINLY should have when you pick-up your rental RV. On your trip, you also ought to think about the types of RV campgrounds available and also consider boondocking!
    However, we've read than in certain places, maybe certain National Parks you can't take in 30' Class A's.... have we got this right?
    There are no restrictions like for any national park. There are many places in national parks where camping is not allowed for vehicles over 25-feet in length and there are places where height restrictions will stop RVs from going (Going-to-the-Sun Highway in Glacier NP) is the most famous.

I have owned and/or driven nearly all of the types of RVs in the USA. I can tell you the Class Cs handle like over-laden pick-up trucks -- and the Class A's tend to be better engineered and easier to drive, once you get used to their size. I have driven custom-built class C RVs -- The Phoenix One was such a beast -- I lived and worked from that truck for 6.5 years.

Most visitors rent Class C's. If it were me, I would rent one of the Class A's or one of the well-designed Class B's.

Mark

Default Yay for Class B's!!

I really do think a Class B is worthy of your consideration. The ease of maneuvering it is always a plus, imho. Especially since you want to travel in some cities. And with the amount of miles you want to travel, it will keep fuel costs down and be less tiring to drive for long hours each day. If you had more people along, then a Class A might be worthy of consideration. But, for just the two of you, I think a Class B would be perfect!

Of course, peruse the info Mark gave you links to first and make your own decision. Class B's are really engineering wonders, packing so much into such a small space while maintaining comfort.

Default PCH and a RV

This is the route we're talking about. It's about 560 miles, or 11 hours pure road time
    Reality check again -- in a RV, flat-out along PCH along the Big Sur, you could probably manage about 45 mph, but the more realistic speed you be able to achieve is about 35 mph. So, that 560 miles would require two full days of driving, no matter what an online planner might suggest is possible.

Mark