Default 40th Birthday Road Trip

My best friend and I are planning a 40th Birthday trip to Las Vegas in August. We were originally going to fly and stay 5 nights and come home. We have now started to think about taking a roadtrip there and back (since my friend really doesn't like flying). We will probably be leaving from West Virginia (possibly NY) and since we will be sharing the driving are hoping to make it there in 2 days staying somewhere in between for 1 night. Will we be able to get there in 2 days or is that pushing it? We really aren't planning on making many stops, other than food and bathroom breaks. Also, do you have any suggestions where to stay midpoint between WV & Las Vegas? We'd like to stay at 2 different places, 1 on the way there and 1 on the way back. There could be a possibilty we may stop for an extra day if there's something great we really want to see. Thanks for your help!!

Default Not a Chance

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

It is 2100 miles from Charleston to Las Vegas. Even if you spent every waking moment of every one of your 6 days doing nothing but driving, you could not get to Las Vegas and back in that amount of time. There simply is no need to consider a driving alternative on that short a time scale any further. Sorry, but those are the cold, hard facts.

AZBuck

Default Thanks

How long would it take one way from Charleston to Las Vegas with 2 drivers?

Default At Least 4

For most people, we recommend no more than 550 miles a day. As you are both new to RoadTrips, you should consider that an upper limit. Having 2 drivers doesn't really help as much as you might think. You can still only drive so fast. You still have to stop for gas, food and traffic. And I don't think you want to turn this trip into a marathon by driving through the night. So four days, one way, is the minimum amount of time you should allot to the trip between Charleston and Las Vegas.

AZBuck

Default agreed

I'm in total agreement with Buck here. No one who has ever done a road trip would ever think about doing a trip from WV to Las Vegas in 2 days unless they absolutely had no other choice. Making the drive in 3 days each way would even be far more driving than you can do and still have an enjoyable trip. At that pace you'd need to spend at least a one full day in Vegas just to rest up and recover before you'd be in any shape to turn around and come back home.

4 days each way is still going to put you near speed run territory, giving you very little chance to do anything other than drive drive drive.

We're definetly staying in Las Vegas for probably 4-5 nights. We just want to get there and back the quickest way possible without flying. I have driven my self from Long Island, NY to WV in a day which was about 600 miles or 12 hours. I guess my original estimate was unrealistic, we will definetly discuss it further. Thanks so much for your input!

Default sprints/marathons

600 miles in about 12 hours is about right, and doing that kind of distance in one day isn't that difficult.

The problem is, after driving 12 hours on a day like this, you have to do it the next day, and the day after, and even then you'll still be 400 miles from your destination. 12 hours on the road is tiring, and doing it day after day wears on the body and the mind - meaning that not only is it more difficult to have fun, its also more difficult to drive safely.