1. Default New York to Miami late Sept/early Oct

Guys I would be grateful of a little advice!
    Normally I drive around the West USA, but ive done so many trips I feel its time to travel the East coast.

I intend driving from New York down to Miami taking in the scenery of the Appalachian Mountains / Great Smoky Mountains.

Ive done a rough start and would be truly grateful for comments and advice on whether a couple of the drives will be stretching it to much i.e. Washington to Cherokee and also Panama Beach to Longboat Key.

I would also be grateful of any advice on “Dodgy” area’s and places to stay clear off (if you know what I mean).

Anyway here are my intentions and we will be driving in a Dodge Durango or Chev Blazer or something of similar.
    Edinburgh / Heathrow / New York

2 nights New York – New York Palace Hotel

Drive New York to Washington (231 miles)
    2 Nights Washington – Hilton & Towers Hotel

Drive Washington to Cherokee (533miles)
    1 night Cherokee (Holiday Inn) adjacent to the Smokey Mountains NP.

Drive Cherokee to Nashville (257 miles)
    1 night Nashville (Union Station Hotel)

Drive Nashville to Montgomery (280 miles)
    1 night Montgomery (Madison Hotel)

Drive Montgomery to New Orleans (311 miles)
    2 nights New Orleans (Hilton New Orleans Riverside)

Drive New Orleans to Panama Beach (320 miles)
    1 night Panama Beach (Majestic Beach Resort)

Drive Panama Beach to Longboat Key (459 miles)
    1 night Longboat Key (longboat key club)

Drive Longboat Key to Miami Beach
    3 nights Miami Beach (Loews Hotel)
    Flight Home
    That’s my intentions, not to sure about 2 nights in New Orleans, has the place recovered from the floods? And also are the 2 drives Washington to Cherokee & Drive Panama Beach to Longboat Key – over ambitious

I can come and go with days here and there and the drive can be pretty adaptable, only place I don’t want to go is Orlando as Ive been there too often in my skydiving days along with Deland.

As I say any advice from you guys on the East Coast would be greatly appreciated.

Tucson, AZ

Default How Taut Does It Have To Be Before It's a Stretch?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There's nothing wrong, per se, with trying to cover the 530 miles from Washington, DC to Cherokee, NC. But if you want to do more than watch the Appalachians roll by your starboard side window while cruising sown the motorway, you're going to have to give this leg considerably more time. I think you might be better served by combining this leg and the next one to Nashville, and take two days to wander down the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway with occasional time out to enjoy the mountains. Panama Beach to Longboat Key will also be a long day's drive, but at just over 450 miles is certainly doable in a day.

As far as 'dodgy' areas go, yes I know what you mean and there are such areas here as well as in Edinburgh. Use the same common sense you would use at home and you'll be fine. New Orleans is still recovering, but it has come a long way. I wouldn't let it's current state deter me at all. Just beware that my first visit to the UK was to Belfast in 1972, where I got 'detained' by a Scots Regiment, so I may not be the one to ask.

Last edited by AZBuck; 02-02-2008 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Correct homonym

Western/Central Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by F41NXS View Post
    I would also be grateful of any advice on “Dodgy” area’s and places to stay clear off (if you know what I mean).
    I think most people have a good idea of what areas are unsafe the moment they arrive. That said, remember that every place is somebody's home.

That’s my intentions, not to sure about 2 nights in New Orleans, has the place recovered from the floods?
    From what I've been hearing, there has been marked improvement, but since the devastation was so incredible, there is a long way to go before the city is back to where it was before Katrina hit. I wouldn't let that deter you from visiting the area - just inquire locally about the best places to go and you should be fine.

4. Default

thanks for the replies so far and yes I am considering adding a couple of days here and there to appreciate the scenery more

again many thanks