1. Default Trip from Rochester NY to Portland OR

A friend and I are going to be traveling from Rochester NY to Portland OR at the end of May.

We have about 6 days to make the road trip in and are hoping to see some interesting sites along the way.

We know that this is a bit of a time crunch, so we don't expect to have a lot of time to visit tons of places, but suggestions about what route to take and places to camp at night would be so helpful and much appreciated!

We'd love to hear any tips from all of you, so we that we may have an unforgettable trip!!

Tucson, AZ

Default Heading West

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

As long as you understand that you've only got a little bit more than the bare minimum number of days for this trip, you can certainly see a few great sights along the way. In fact you're first choice will be between the two basic routes you have available to you between Chicago and Portland. One of these continues to follow I-80 west through Nebraska and Wyoming to Salt Lake City and then follows I-84 up to Portland. Highlights of this trip might include the Amana Colonies in Iowa, following the old Oregon Trail along the Platte River in Nebraska, Flaming Gorge in Wyoming and the Great Salt Lake. The other route would follow I-90 from Chicago up through Minnesota, South Dakota and Montana before using US-395 through western Washington to connect with I-84 into Portland. Highlights of this route include the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone. As far as camping goes, there should be no shortage of sites at both commercial campgrounds as well as state and national parks. The other source you should be aware of is the National Forest system most units of which, besides offering campgrounds, offer what is known as distributed camping where you can camp for free as long as you're a hundred yards (or some such distance) from any road or water body.

3. Default

thanks so much for the welcome and your help! I loved the Oregon Trail game as a kid

if anyone else has any ideas, we'd be happy to hear them!