Default Rochester, NY to Chicago, IL

My husband and I are looking to make a roadtrip to Chicago. Any suggestions on interesting things to check out along the way? Not extended stops but quick glimpses of Americana?

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Just firing off a few things off the top of my head. As you head west, you could stop and eat Buffalo Wings in Buffalo, visit the rock and roll HoF in Cleveland, Ride Roller Coasters in Sandusky, OH, take a stroll through the campus of Notre Dame, or spend some time on the beach at Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore.

Or you could go through Niagara Falls, cross the border for some "Canadi-cana," Re-enter the US in the Motor City, and stop at Cereal City USA in Battle Creek, MI and then continue on your way to the Windy City.

Default How far back in the Americana?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyfin View Post
    Not extended stops but quick glimpses of Americana?
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! I always wonder what exactly constitutes "Americana" -- so here are a couple of places you might not be aware of -- The Ganondagan State Historic site can be toured near Victor, NY and jumping ahead a couple of hundred years you could visit Old Fort Niagara at Youngstown, NY. What sets this place apart from many historical sites in America is that most of the buildings are still here. I don't know if the hotel that is housed in an old grain silo would be classified as Americana, but I made a point of stopping there one Spring.

Perhaps you could share with us, what you mean by Americana? Oh yes, food -- thanks to Midwest Michael -- how could I forget this place: Quaker Steak & Lube in Sharon, Pennsylvania? Actually, if you look at our A to Z lists for the states you will be traveling through, I am sure you can find some cool attractions.

Mark

Thanks for the tips and links. I guess what I'm looking for is not so much history per se, but touristy. I am not above tacky tourist attractions. Hadn't thought of the RnR HoF. We have beat Niagara Falls to death. I have never travelled West of Pennsylvania by car.

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Toledo and Notre Dame

In Toledo, check out Tony Packo's for some of the best sausages and pickles.

Try to get a student to take you for a tour of Notre Dame. You really get the old college experience.