1. Default Sacramento to Orlando fastest route?

I'll be moving to Orlando in 3 weeks and would like to know what the fastest route is? Also what is the safest, as far as cops and speedtraps and that kind of thing go. Any states or places to avoid? I want to get there in 3-4 days. What state would that put me in, roughly, at the end of each night? So I can get an idea of where I should book hotels at.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Reality Check

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The fastest and most direct route would be I-10 from Florida to California and then I-5 North through California. However, your timeframe simply isn't reasonable. Its a 2900 mile trip, which is simply not a 3 day trip. Even 4 days is far beyond what we recommend for a multi-day trip because it will require you to be on the road for about 14 hours a day.

As far as speed traps go, there really are very few "speed traps" on the interstate, because there are very few places where the speed limit isn't plainly obvious - and thus its pretty hard to "trap" someone. Every state patrols its interstates looking for people who are flagrantly disregarding the speed limit, and no matter what state you are in, if you are driving more than 5-10 over the speed limit, you're going to be at risk of getting a ticket.

Default some suggestions for your trip

Hi there,

I agree with Midwest Michael. I dont think you could do this drive in 3 days if you drove non-stop/24 hours a day. I would expect it to take 4 or 5 days.

I am not familiar with the roads in California, Arizona, and New Mexico. I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and we have made the drive to Orlando hundreds of times.

You have two options - one route that brings you through DFW by way of I-20. Or a more southern route that takes you through San Antonio and Houston by way of I 10. How you get there is up to you.

I would suggest you pick the route through DFW only becuase I know that the drive through West Texas is isolated and boring. And that can really drain your energy - which is not going to help you if you are pressed for time. The route down I-20 through DFW will at least give you more options for places to stop and stretch your legs. Also, keep in mind that it takes at least 8 hours to drive from El Paso to DFW or San Antonio. You should also remember that Florida is misleading. It doesnt look like such a large state on the map, but it can take a whole day just to drive from the state line all the way down to Orlando.

I would stop somewhere in New Mexico for a nights rest (which I assume you can get to in a day, but I don't really know for sure). Then stop in DFW or San Antonio. Then stop in Mobile Alabama.

Your choices are I-20 through DFW (Stay of I-30 because of traffic) to Shreveport. Take I-49 South to Layfette where you can pick up I-10 into Florida. You can also take I-10 through San Antonio and Houston and that means you can stay on the same road as much as possible. But I know that traffic in Houston is terrible at any time of day. I would sleep in San Antonio so that you can hit Houston after the morning rush hour and save yourself some stress. (No point in wasting gas poking along at 5 miles an hour on the freeway.)

I realize that was a lot of reading. I tend to ramble. Sorry. But I hope that helps you out.