1. Default Suggestions for 2 from VA to CA and back?! :)

Hi there!
    I am graduating from school in May and my boyfriend and I are going to take a trip from Warrenton, VA to California and back.

So far I have an idea of the way out there but would really appreciate some suggestions as I know nothing about any part of our country except for the east coast.
    The following itinerary is based on places that I have to stay along the way. Any ideas of where to stop along the way or alternative routes is greatly appreciated!
    Also an idea of how much to budget would be great also!!
    I am a college student so virtually have nothing but my credit card... so WAYS TO SAVE MONEY WOULD BE GREAT!!!
    Since the places below are all places where I have family, they are obviously free! But I still need to figure out how much it is going to be to camp or stay in hotels along the way...

Monday, May 26th- VA to New Orleans- 16 hours
    think we can do 16 hours in one day?
    also this is memorial day- think we should leave earlier/later because of traffic??

Thursday, May 29- New Orleans to Dallas, TX- 8 hours
    I don't know anyone in Dallas, but since it's on the way I figure we should splurge and stay a night.

Friday, May 30- Dallas to Oklahoma City- 3 1/2 hours
    I have an uncle here that works a lot so it would be nice to stay here for the weekend when he is free.

**I have relatives in Odessa, TX and Phoenix, AZ--but it seems that it would be out of the way to go there...suggestions?**

Monday, June 2- OK City to Flagstaff, AZ- 12 hours
    We want to camp on the way to the bottom of the Grand Canyon but have no clue how much time to invest into this... should we stay in Flagstaff the first night, then get up early the next morning, drive to GC and hike down there, stay at the bottom one night, the hike up??
    Also, should be stay in Alberquerque along the way since it's a long drive?

Saturday, June 7- Grand Canyon to Joshua Tree National Park- 6 hours
    This park looks absolutely beautiful so I was thinking we would take Sunday to hike in part of it.

Monday, June 9- Joshua Tree to San Diego, CA- 3 hours
    We have a place to stay here for 3 nights so we probably see the sights and make use of the beach. :)

Thursday June 12- San Diego to Coto de Caza- 1 1/2 hours
    I have an uncle here so it would be convenient for 3 nights on the weekend.

Saturday, June 14- Coto de Caza to San Francisco- 8++ hours
    We will probably take our time and take the Pacific Coast Highway (and 17-mile drive) up the coast to San Fran. Suggestion on where to stay a night on the way?
    We have a place to stay in San Fran for 3 nights.

Thursday, June 19th- Most likely BROKE and no clue how to go home. Ideas? =)

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by CassInVA View Post

Monday, May 26th- VA to New Orleans- 16 hours
    think we can do 16 hours in one day?
    also this is memorial day- think we should leave earlier/later because of traffic??
    Trying to fit that in to a single day trip would prove very frustrating, even more so if this is your first long road trip, and especially so seeing it is a holiday. One thing novice roadtrippers do is overestimate their abilities behind the wheel. I can't think of anything that makes a trip more enjoyable than taking some time to relax in an area that would otherwise be skipped by just because it means the trip might take a little longer. We've all been there - and occasionally still make this mistake - but you can learn from our mistakes. Split this up over two days and enjoy the ride!

Thursday, May 29- New Orleans to Dallas, TX- 8 hours
    I don't know anyone in Dallas, but since it's on the way I figure we should splurge and stay a night.
    I think the ride is longer than that - if you are using online maps, they tend to be optimistic and neglect things like construction, weather, and traffic. It is still doable in a day, but it might be closer to ten hours, factoring in stops and such.

Monday, June 2- OK City to Flagstaff, AZ- 12 hours
    We want to camp on the way to the bottom of the Grand Canyon but have no clue how much time to invest into this... should we stay in Flagstaff the first night, then get up early the next morning, drive to GC and hike down there, stay at the bottom one night, the hike up??
    Also, should we stay in Alberquerque along the way since it's a long drive?
    I would suggest breaking this up into two days as well. This way you won't be so tired when it comes time to go on your hike. Keep in mind you are going to have to get a permit to camp in the back country of the Grand Canyon. More information can be found here.