1. Default driving from new york to Miami, fl

first trip down to Miami, driving this friday and would like to make the most of it. would like any ideas on places to visit and nice place to stay like a bed & breakfast....never been to washington also....any help will be many thanks

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Timeframe

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

How much time are you giving yourself for this trip? There are lots of things to do, but without knowing how much time you have its hard to narrow things down.

Also, B&B's aren't bad places to stay, but they do require some more advance planning and reservations than a standard motel. If you want to go that route, I would simply start searing the internet for B&Bs in the areas where you might be staying, and start examining your options.

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default And your interests?

If you give us an idea of what types of things interest you...natural wonders, historic sites, museums, clubbing, beaches, forest hikes, funny tacky tourist traps, etc...we can give you more specific ideas that will appeal to you.

You'll love Washington DC. At least I do. Just the Smithsonian can keep you busy for hours, even a day or two. All the museums along The Mall including, but not limited to the National Archives, the Library of Congress, the Native American Museum, the National Gallery, Museum of Natural History, Museum of American History, etc. are worth seeing. If you want to see what's going on in Congress, you can stop by the office of your representative in the House and get passes into the Chambers. The White House is an interest place to visit but get in line very early. And, of course, the memorials for Lincoln, Washington, Jefferson, WWII, Vietnam, Korean War, FDR, the Arlington Cemetary....gosh, so much to see! And it's all free. What a deal.

I've made two 1-week trips there and I still haven't seen everything I wanna see yet! And I'd love to return to some places I've already been because the exhibits change a bit.

You can walk to everything or take the very accessible and easy to navigate subway system. Or the hop-on/hop-off busses.

If you don't mind paying for a few things, The Spy Museum is very cool. As is a side-trip to Mt. Vernon. And the Holocaust Museum is quite powerful and moving.

If you have specific questions on DC, I'll try to answer them for you.

4. Default ok...more info

well, the trip is more like a will only be for the weekend...sorry to say! I would like to hit washington for sure and then historic sites along the way...even something that is wacky and fun would be great. I'll be driving down with a female companion so we would like to just enjoy the ride stoping half way at..well, now a hotel and then continue the next that's about it..

Green County, Wisconsin

Default time for little else

Unfortuantly, if you are only planning to make this a two day trip, you won't have ANY time to explore Washington, Historic Sites, or anything else along the way.

This is a 1300 mile trip down the most congested corridor in the US. If you don't hit major traffic, (a huge if) you will still need to be on the road 12 or more hours for each of the days you'll be traveling. Hope to make it to the North/South Carolina state line your first day, rest up, and then continue your major push onto Miami.