Default Spring Break Road Trip HELP !!!

Hi Everyone,

My friends and I (about 4 of us) are planning on a road trip during our college spring break. The break is about 5 to 7 days, and we are totally lost as to which direction to head in and how much distance can be covered in 5 to 7 days.

We are all seniors, and this is our graduating semester. We really like to take a fun trip, mix some nature stuff, sight seeing and some partying. We are totally short of ideas.

We go to school at Georgia Tech, so we will be leaving from Atlanta in the 3rd week of March.

Any ideas, and help are really appreciated as we are totally lost. This will be our first road trip and so we have no experience in planning such trips.

Any IDEAS ????!!!!

Thanks in Advance,
    Satyabetold

Default South?

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Heading south would certainly be a "traditional" spring break. I would think heading to Miami, spending a few days on the beach, with the option of trips to the everglades or out on the ocean would certainly fit your goals pretty well.

Of course there are millions of other options, from the Gulf Coast, to the Carolinas, or cities like DC or NY. Since pretty much the entire east coast is accessable within 2 days drive, Its certainly understandable that you would have a hard time picking from your many many options.

Default Even Before Where

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Prior to picking a direction and destination, you'll all have to decide on what you want the trip to be like. You've got some basic objectives (nature, fun, etc.) but you'll also need to figure out how many days you want to be on the road vs. how many days you want to be seeing and doing stuff other than driving. What kind of 'nature stuff': climbing mountains or sitting on the beach? What's your definition of fun? Here's a set of questions to help you work out those kinds of trip parameters.

Once you've got those basics worked out, it becomes much easier to find destinations and stops along the way. A couple of examples: If you decide you don't really want to drive all that far, but want to relax on the beach during the day and party at night, The Outer Banks of North Carolina can be reached in two very easy days of driving with time to see South Carolina's Low Country and even a bit of the Appalachians thrown in on the drive there and back. If, on the other hand, you want to experience more road, big cities, history, and different cultures, you could make French speaking Canada (Montréal) in three days, while making quick visits to Washington, New York and long stretches of the Appalachians on roads like the Blue Ridge Parkway. Other options include the Great Lakes, the Great River Road including New Orleans, Memphis and St. Louis, and I haven't even touched on the more typical Spring Break locations.

AZBuck

Default Congratulations...

on graduating from GT. (My son is a Yellow Jacket class of 2002.)

I guess my first choice would be a loop that includes Memphis, New Orleans and Panama City. All good party towns with lots of history and scenic opportunities along the way.

But, as has been stated, the choices are many and varied. Some friends of ours just told us a story about when they were young and undecided on where to go on a week-long road trip. They started by driving to the end of the block and asking "which way?" When they got to the highway they asked the same question, and continued asking at each major junction. They never knew where they were going, but they had a great time exploring whatever fate had in store for them. You might try the same idea and see where you end up. Starting from Atlanta, you can't go wrong.

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default The Keys

Always a great time in the Florida Keys. Key West is great, but we are fond of Islamorada.

Having a sunset celebration at the Lorelai is a great way to end the day. Plus, you can't beat fun at the old Hog Heaven.

Always a first stop for us after enetring the keys is the Caribbean Club in Key Largo. This is the site where the movie Key Largo was filmed. Great views.