1. Default Baltimore, MD to Portland, Or. with 2 dogs, 1 cat

We are moving across the country in April, 2008 with 3 animals. What is the most efficient way to do this? We are old enough that we don't want to drive all day and night, but this is not a tourist excursion, we just want to get there!

Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Tucson, AZ

Default Getting There is Half the Fun

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The most efficient route is just to take I-70 to the PA Tpk, connect to the Ohio Tpk, and then continue on I-80 to the Salt Lake City area. From there cut northwest on I-84 to Portland. At just under 2900 miles, this trip is doable as a speed run in 5 days, but 6 would make it much more comfortable on you and the pets. However many days you decide to take, I think I'd book accommodations ahead, just to make sure that you have a place that will take your menagerie, and to cut down on the stress of the trip. Travelling with pets can offer challenges and rewards all its own. Even though this isn't a sight-seeing trip, one thing you can do is stop every few hours to give them and you a chance to relax and get some fresh air and exercise, and you might as well make those stops at nice locations along the way

Green County, Wisconsin

Default 5 days or more

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You are looking at a trip that is about 2800 miles, so you need to plan for this to take about 5-6 days. That would be full days on the road, and gives you time to take care of your pets while on the road.

The shortest route would be to get up to I-80 and take that all the way to Utah, although I would probably take I-70 to Indianapolis, and then cut up to I-80 via I-74 to avoid Chicago traffic and reduce time on tollways.