1. Default NY to TX... Suggestions needed!!!

Hello guys! This is my first post, as well as my first time planning a road trip. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The idea is to drive with my brother from NYC to Texas (Dallas) in a stretch of four days, beginning on June 8th and getting there the 12th. We want to take scenic roads rather than main roads, but since neither my brother nor me know the area – or any area within the possible routes – any suggestions would be great!

For the first part of the trip, we were thinking about taking it easy with a seven-hour drive from NYC to Virginia Beach, and spending the night there. We would do this crossing Delaware. Here is where I need your help; we want to do as much east coast cruising as possible, but somewhere around South Carolina, we will be forced to turn west towards Dallas. Maybe spending a night in South Carolina, and then another night somewhere between South Carolina and Dallas would work. Any suggestions on which roads to take? Cities along the way to spend the night in?

As I said before, any suggestions are welcome
    Thanks a bunch!!

Default Counting the Days

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The first thing I'd note is that the 8th to the 12th inclusive is five days rather than four that you have available for the trip, and I think you will need each of those five days to do what you have in mind. I personally love the trip down the length of Delaware, but look at taking DE-9 from Wilmington to Dover rather than US-13/DE-1 if you want to take a scenic rather than the main road. Farther south, DE-1 does provide coastal cruising down to Ocean City, MD where you'd come inland a bit to rejoin US-113/US-13 down to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. You can certainly reach Virginia Beach in a day, and it an be a leisurely drive, but it will take more like 8 or 9 hours than 7. Just budget the time and enjoy the trip.

Things do get a bit tighter after that. There is a lot of great coast farther south, especially the Outer Banks of North Carolina. You can drive all the way down to Ocracoke on NC-12 with just one free ferry crossing. From Ocracoke you can take another ferry (not free, but only $15-20) to either Cedar Island or Swan Quarter where US-70 or US-264 respectively will take you inland to I-95. You should try to catch the ferry before it gets too late in the evening, so you'll have time to cover at least some ground and find lodging for the night. Since you're going to be travelling in June, this probably means you should make a reservation for the ferry and stick to a schedule that will get you to Ocracoke in plenty of time to make it.

Now, having used two full days to get this far, you are going to be pressed for time. You'd still have over 1300 miles still to go to get to Dallas. If you really only have 4 days total to get to Dallas, you're not going to be able to do this. If you really have 5 days, then you still have a little time, and I'd look at taking I-40 to Nashville and then the Natchez Trace Parkway down to Jackson, MS before heading into Dallas on I-20.

If you really only have four days to get to Dallas, then I think you'll have to skip the Outer Banks and just head inland from Virginia Beach, taking US-58 across southern Virginia to I-81 and I-40 to Nashville and then as above. So let us know what your final time frame is and if either of the options I've outlined sounds like what you want.

AZBuck

Default Natchez Trace

I got the opportunity to spend part of a day on the Natchez Trace and definitely recommend that to anyone. A good option is to hit Highway 80 in Louisiana. There is a way to catch it from I-20 in Vicksburg, but I could not figure out how to do it. Hopefully you are smarter than me. :) Anyway, US Highway 80 is wonderful through Louisiana and will take you through much of Texas and almost into Dallas. It runs through Monroe, Arcadia (Bonney and Clyde), and Shreveport, Louisiana and through Marshall, Longview, Gladewater, and Grand Saline, Texas. It's a wonderful way to see small town Deep South without ever being far away from an Interstate.

Let me know if you have any further questions about Louisiana, Arkansas or Texas. I've travelled a lot through these states.

Laura

4. Default five, not four.

AZBuck
    You're right! I miscounted the days I had for the trip, I do have 5 days!!!! Thanks for pointing it out!!

I checked out that Ocracoke route with ferries... It looks like it would be an excellent choice for a scenic route!
    Thanks for your suggestions!! they're helping a lot in the planning!
    Last edited by jnavarro; 01-29-2008 at 07:16 PM.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lhuff View Post
    I got the opportunity to spend part of a day on the Natchez Trace and definitely recommend that to anyone. A good option is to hit Highway 80 in Louisiana. There is a way to catch it from I-20 in Vicksburg, but I could not figure out how to do it. Hopefully you are smarter than me. :) Anyway, US Highway 80 is wonderful through Louisiana and will take you through much of Texas and almost into Dallas. It runs through Monroe, Arcadia (Bonney and Clyde), and Shreveport, Louisiana and through Marshall, Longview, Gladewater, and Grand Saline, Texas. It's a wonderful way to see small town Deep South without ever being far away from an Interstate.

Let me know if you have any further questions about Louisiana, Arkansas or Texas. I've travelled a lot through these states.

Laura
    If we're not pressed for time, wich we probably won't, we think its a great idea to take Highway 80! You said it yourself, its a great way to see small towns with out getting to far away from an interstate!

Thanks a lot!!