1. Default Austin, TX to Seattle, WA and back

Hey everybody, my name is Connor. This is my first post and I need some ideas for a trip I'm planning with a couple of friends. Time isn't really a limit on this trip. As long as we are enjoying the scenery and the people we meet, we plan to stay on the road.
    We already have a basic plan in mind. Starting in Austin, heading west, hitting Phoenix, San Diego, up to Los Angeles, taking the famous Highway 1 (only great scenic road I know of), then San Francisco, Portland, Seattle. The route back is less structured, maybe Yellowstone then Denver, then through my beautiful hometown of Lubbock (sarcasm) on the way back to Austin.
    We plan on balancing our time in the cities and the empty spaces in between. We decided to stay at the hostels for the nights in the cities but also want to do some camping, which leads to the purpose of the post...considering this route of cities, where are some good camping areas? mountain ranges? national parks?
    I'd greatly appreciate any ideas about how to spend our time in between the cities.

Default No time limit?

You're lucky to not have that restriction.

Welcome to the Roadtrip America forums!

We already have a basic plan in mind. Starting in Austin, heading west, hitting Phoenix, San Diego, up to Los Angeles, taking the famous Highway 1 (only great scenic road I know of), then San Francisco, Portland, Seattle.
    There are a lot of beautiful routes along your trip. In fact, we all tend to believe that there is no such thing as a boring road and that all roads offer some beauty, some fun and quirky stops, some historical stuff, you name it!

For example, the entire coastal drive is gorgeous. If you're not on CA-1, look for Hwy 101 which runs the entire coastal length of CA-OR-WA. Beautiful drive. For more beautiful drives, you might check out America's Byways and see which of these are along or near your planned route. They're all worth taking, if you can.

The route back is less structured, maybe Yellowstone then Denver, then through my beautiful hometown of Lubbock (sarcasm) on the way back to Austin.
    Lots of beautiful places along that route!

We plan on balancing our time in the cities and the empty spaces in between.
    Empty spaces? Yeah, you will find some but, really, these are few...so enjoy 'em when you find 'em as small towns will dot many of the areas you're driving through.

We decided to stay at the hostels for the nights in the cities
    Hostels can be a great experience and you should be able to meet up with other travelers, strike up friendships, and get some good travel tips. But you should be aware that they charge per person and, sometimes, the rate per person x # of people in your party will be more expensive than a budget hotel. Just so ya know.

but also want to do some camping, which leads to the purpose of the post...considering this route of cities, where are some good camping areas? mountain ranges? national parks?
    There are numerous national parks through some of these areas. State and county parks, too. And more. You might want to check out ReserveAmerica as it lists all sorts of campgrounds including national, state, county, Army Corps of Engineers, Bureau of Land Management, etc. You can check out the maps and compare them to your route and see what is along there. You will find good camping in the mountains, near beaches/lakes/rivers, etc.

I'd greatly appreciate any ideas about how to spend our time in between the cities.

3. Default

Judy, thanks for the information, this forum is really helpful.

Default If you need more help later on, come on back!

We can't do all your planning for you but we can definitely help you tweak things a bit. Happy planning!