1. Default Washington / Oregon / Northern California

Looking for a bit of feedback. I'm thinking of flying into either Seattle, WA or Portland, OR -- then driving down cost to San Francisco before coming home to Ohio.

This will be a late February trip.

I have up to 10 calendar days for the trip. Stopping for 1-2 days at a resort on the coast may be nice to throw in the mix.

Suggestions on route, weather to expect, things to see, places to stay - all will be appreciated.

Tucson, AZ

Default More Than Enough

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I'm currently doing some preliminary planning for a trip to the Oregon coast this fall, and I plan to spend 8 or 9 days just seeing parts of that. My best sources of ideas for types of things to do have been Judy's excellent posts on the region. One thing you'll notice is that there are coastal sights and inland (mountain) sights, so you may want to think about a loop trip where you stick to the coast (US-101) on one leg and the mountains (I-5) on the other.

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Are you driving to Ohio?

If you're doing a Seattle-San Francisco-Seattle round trip (or starting in Portland), 10 days is long enough to do a nice loop trip like AZBuck mentioned. However, if you're flying into Seattle or Portland, driving to San Francisco, and then driving back to Ohio, well...that's a whole other matter.

You will need at least 4 days to get to Ohio. Although in February where weather and road conditions might not be the best for a speed run, you might need to add at least an extra day. And 4 days driving across means very little, if any, time for sight-seeing and exploring.

Could you clarify this so we could give you more appropriate and accurate advice?

Suggestions on route, weather to expect, things to see, places to stay - all will be appreciated.
    Check out the threads AZBuck linked to for route ideas and things to see.

Weather? Well, Februrary is typically one of our wetter, colder months. At the very least, expect overcast skies and drizzle. Of course, as I say this, we're in the middle of some very unusual January weather. It is cold but sunny and and dry. This isn't typical but not so rare that it couldn't happen again in February. So, come prepared with raingear but also warmer clothes in case we get another colder/drier stretch. You might check the long-term weather forecast before you leave.

Places to stay? I'm awful helping with this because I'm a tightwad. Camping in the summer, cheap hotels the rest of the time are fine with me. I never hang around my lodging to speak of anyway so I just need a clean room. If you're looking for something special, you might google the Inn at Otter Crest which is on the Oregon coast and I've heard great things about it. Gosh, if something else pops into my head, I'll come back here and post it.

4. Default

Judy & AZBuck - thank you for the replys.

Judy - my plan was to fly home from San Francisco. AZ indicates should look at doing a loop, I will take a look at this.

I will take look at google site suggested for lodging.

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default To loop or not?

If you do a loop, you will save a bit on car rental due to no 1-way drop-off fees, and usually you get a cheaper flight as well if you fly-in/fly-out of the same airport. That may or may not matter to you.

The advantage of doing a loop is to see both the coast and the inland areas. Both have lovely things to see. A read through AZBuck's links should give you an idea if you want to see both or just go one-way based on your interests.

But you could easily enjoy 10 days just down the coast (with a little bit on the interior while making your way to the coast).

If you fly into Seattle, I think I'd be inclined to spend a couple days there, taking the ferry over to Winslow from Seattle's waterfront, and then starting to drive 101 around the Olympia Peninsula and continue south to San Francisco using CA-1 and 101 the whole way down. Ten days would give you lots of time to explore this route. Again, the posts will give you lots of ideas of things to see and do along this route.

Stuff that you'd miss by not going inland though are places like Crater Lake, Mt. Hood, the Columbia River Gorge, and Mt. St. Helens. All but the Gorge are probably going to have some access issues in February due to snow but you should still be able to see some of it.

Why don't you snoop through those posts AZBuck provided links to and then come on back here with your ideas and then we can help you do some tweaking and such? Hope to help you more.