1. Default From Berkeley to Bishop in March... North or South?

I need to drive from the Bay Area to Bishop, Ca, in the first week of March. I understand that the Tioga Pass will still be closed, and that the shortest way is to go North via Sacramento to Tahoe on 50, and South onto 395.
    But I'm wondering whether the roads round Tahoe will still be wintry and tough going in early March? Would I be mad to take I-5 south to Baskersfield, then 58 and head North on 395 ? It may be a longer way round, but sounds a lot easier and less stressful. Advice would be very welcome!
    Thanks!

Default US-395 is 49% guaranteed for snow in March

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Adley View Post
    Would I be mad to take I-5 south to Baskersfield, then 58 and head North on 395 ? It may be a longer way round, but sounds a lot easier and less stressful.
    Mad? Hard for me to say. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! But not what I would do. US-395 is not a snow-free route in March, although the odds would favor less snow on the southern stretch -- there is still a good chance that you would hit snow and have a very LONG Day going around the southern end of the Sierra Nevada mountains. I would suggest US-50 or even I-80. The roads are kept clear and open. You should have no problems.

Mark

3. Default Everywhere in chains?

Mark

Thanks for that -I'll do just as you say. Now, please excuse the complete ignorance of this scribbler living in the west of Ireland, but will I need chains at that time of year? If so, are they compulsory? Where will I get some (from the car rental company?) and are they easy to fit?

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
    Charlie

Default Rental Car = No Chains

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Adley View Post
    Thanks for that -I'll do just as you say. Now, please excuse the complete ignorance of this scribbler living in the west of Ireland, but will I need chains at that time of year?
    Yes, as a general rule, you will be required to carry chains on those highways in March.
    Where will I get some (from the car rental company?) and are they easy to fit?
    Rental Car contracts specifically (usually) prohibit the use of chains on their cars. Ideally, they don't want you driving in those conditions. Yes, they are easy to use, but they take some practice. You might wish to purchase a set of cable chains -- much easier to put on and carry in the car.

Mark

5. Default Thanks!

it has been great to have your knowledge availalble to me. Probably best not to mention those chains to the rental company then! I'll source those cable chains you mentioned, and ask for help if I need it to fit them!

Thanks Mark