1. Default Summer road trip JULY HELP

Hi
    Me and three friends are planning to spend 18 days on the west coast flying into Las Vegas then driving to LA, Big Sur, San Fran.,Grand Canyon and then finishing back in Las Vegas......

so any tips, from flying to driiving, where to go, if this is even possible in this time, would be great???

kindest regards sean day

Default thousands of ideas

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There are hundreds of threads discussing this part of the US. You can find links to some of our favorites by looking here.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 01-22-2008 at 09:11 AM. Reason: more direct link

Default Yes, it's possible

The links Michael gave you are a great read and will give you lots of ideas.

The tone of your post sounds youthful. If you are under age 25, renting a car can be an expensive proposition as there are surcharges. If you are under 21, it can be almost impossible to rent a vehicle. If this issue doesn't apply to you, my apologies.

If you want to give us an idea of the types of things you like to see and do, it is easier for us to make specific recommendations. So please feel free to give us more info and ask us more specific questions.

4. Default thanks for this

Im a young 26 haha thanks for the help, the questions I worry about are

Is 17/18 days enough time to get round, LA, Big Sur, San Fran., Grand Canyon and Las Vegas???

Wheres the best place to fly into? Las vegas seems the cheapest?

Is it best to camp?and how easy is camping??

and are there any areas away from the normal tourist places to go that you could recomend? we are basically sight seers and open to anything!

Cheers Sean

Default Well, 26 IS youthful to some of us!

LOL....but glad you're over 25 as this will help with car rentals and keeping costs down.

Is 17/18 days enough time to get round, LA, Big Sur, San Fran., Grand Canyon and Las Vegas???
    Yes. Obviously you won't be able to see everything in those places or explore every place between them...heck, you could spend the entire time in just LA and not see everything...but 17/18 days is more than enough to see the highlights.

Wheres the best place to fly into? Las vegas seems the cheapest?
    If Las Vegas is the cheapest, then it's probably the best, too. Really, I don't think any airport is superior to any other one along your route. Unless it's grown a lot, the Las Vegas airport is smaller than the others, too. I tend to prefer that as it's easier to get in and out of.

Is it best to camp?and how easy is camping??
    It depends. I think when you're in the cities, it's usually easier to stay in a hotel. Campgrounds tend to be too much on the outskirts requiring driving in-and-out of the city which will eat up some of your time. And campgrounds that are within these cities won't be very campgroundy (if that makes sense). For the most part, you won't get real natural or quiet settings.

But I love camping while on a roadtrip. I just don't do it in the cities, for the most part. Grand Canyon has some great camping. And there are various places along the way you might enjoy camping at.

How easy is camping? Very easy. If you haven't done it, I don't think this roadtrip is the place to do it for the first time. Try a camping trip at home one weekend and see how you like it. If you do, then go ahead and plan doing some of it while on your roadtrip. Here's some basic info about getting started with camping that might be helpful. Scroll down to post #9.

and are there any areas away from the normal tourist places to go that you could recomend? we are basically sight seers and open to anything!
    The link Michael gave you will lead you toward many discussions about these areas. Within them, you'll find lots of tips about interesting places to stop.