Thread: Temperatures???

Default Temperatures???

Just a heat related question really... how hot does it usually get around mid July-early August in and abouts Las Vegas, eg, Grand Canyon, Death Valley, all the national parks in the area?? We're planning on renting out a mini van, camping a bit and the odd motel. Wud you say the heat is bareable or, being in the desert will it near destroy us? We're from the north of England where sun just isnt a part of our culture! I'm expecting it to be hot but am wondering just how hot. I'd hate such a great experience being ruined through failing to prepare for the temperatures. If anyone has any tips for travelling in such conditions they'd be a massive help also...

Default It is the desert

You are talking about the hottest time of the year at bascially the hottest area of North America.

High temps in Death Valley often reach 120 (F) or above. The Average High temp in Vegas last July was 104 degrees.

Those temperatures are extremely hot, but people do live and travel in those conditions every day, so its a matter of your own person tolerances.

Grand Canyon isn't nearly as hot, since you are at a significant elevation, but remember, if you walk into the canyon, it is much hotter at the bottom than on the top.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_UK View Post
    Just a heat related question really... how hot does it usually get around mid July-early August in and abouts Las Vegas, eg, Grand Canyon, Death Valley, all the national parks in the area?? We're planning on renting out a mini van, camping a bit and the odd motel. Wud you say the heat is bareable or, being in the desert will it near destroy us? We're from the north of England where sun just isnt a part of our culture! I'm expecting it to be hot but am wondering just how hot. I'd hate such a great experience being ruined through failing to prepare for the temperatures. If anyone has any tips for travelling in such conditions they'd be a massive help also...
    It is VERY hot (+100F daily), especially if you are not used to that type of extreme dry heat. However, it is certainly doable if you plan accordingly, i.e. LOTS of water, suntan lotion, etc. When camping it can get tough when there is no escape from the heat. You want to try and plan sightseeing in the mornings and early evening when the temps are a little lower but it is difficult in mid afternoon, especially if you are traveling with children. Bryce National Park in southern Utah is a good place to go because it is at a higher elevation and is a little cooler than a lot of other destinations in the southwest. You can have a great time as long as you are prepared!

Default Reported Temperatures v. Reality

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    High temps in Death Valley often reach 120 (F) or above. The Average High temp in Vegas last July was 104 degrees.
    Like Midwest Michael suggests, it is hot in the desert in summer. As a local Las Vegan, we don't even consider it to be much beyond "warmish" at 104 degrees. The temperatures that are reported in the national media are often under-valued in Las Vegas in summer. We don't like to scare the tourists. I can guarantee that the average temperature in my back yard in Las Vegas in July was a lot closer to 110 in July... A pretty average day would see temps 111 to 113 every day in July -- I used to keep track of this kind of data -- but now I only really pay attention when it gets above 117 or so. And that happens 2-3 times each summer.

Mark

Default Mark vs. the National Weather Service

I can guarantee that the average temperature in my back yard in Las Vegas in July was a lot closer to 110 in July...
    The 104 number I got was from the National Weather Service's climate data from July 2007, are you say they are wrong or perhaps part of a pro-tourism conspiracy????

Default I know where those data recorders are

Yep, that is pretty much what I am saying. Las Vegas is, in many ways, a company town. It is not really a conspiracy as much as "it" is a marketing platform.

Data recorders, mounted in the shade of a building about 25 feet above the ground, will usually record temps that are a shade cooler than the surrounding air that is exposed to the sunlight.

But if you drill down to the underlying data and look at the official NWS reporting stations individually, (not the "official one" at the airport) and average those readings, I think you would concur that the 104 "official average high temp" is a little low.

But to return to the spirit of the original query of this thread -- its gonna be hot -- but that is some of the appeal of the desert southwest in summer. Here are some excellent tips about how to prepare and enjoy this heat!

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 01-22-2008 at 05:13 PM. Reason: added a link to summer time heat tips

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    As a local Las Vegan
    Is that Spanish for "the vegetarian"? :)

Thanks chaps. Now the truth has finally come out and these temperature conspiricies have been clarified... I think i'll just stay at home and bear the clouds and rain. Play it safe if you will? I'm officially now a scared tourist! Just joking. Cant wait. Gives me an idea though of wots in store so thanks.