1. Default HELP!!! August 2008 Road Trip: Miami - San Francisco

Good evening my esteemed road trip gurus!

I've stumbled across this very handy website a few months back as a group of friends and I were vaguely considering a grand US roadtrip in 2008. Now that we have agreed a tentaive date (August 2008), I was wondering whether you guys can give us any valuable advice.

We are 4 young male fun loving criminals intent on wreaking havoc across the states this summer. The plan is to spend 18 days (16 days effectively as 2 days will be spent flying across the Atlantic pond) traversing the country starting off in Miami (FL) and ending up in San Francisco (CA).

The plan is to spend a couple of nights in Miami, then catch an internal flight to New Orleans; from there we will hire a car and hit the road all the way to San Fran via Dallas (TX), Albuquerque (NM), Flagstaff (AZ) - Nearest city to Grand Canyon - Las Vegas, and Yosemite National Park (CA). According to Rand McNally that is a distance of 2417 Miles (i.e. 39 Hrs 30 mins total drive time at avg driving speed 61 MPH which is fairly gay but to be on the safe side). From San Fran, we will drop off the rental car and get a flight back to Miami.

As for the days breakdown, we've decided to take aside 8 whole days for staying in all the cities we're interested in (e.g. 2 days Miami, 1 day New Orleans, 1 day Dallas, 2 days Vegas & 2 days San Fran).

That leaves us with 10 days. If you deduct the flight times to the US and back which we said was 2 days, that leaves us with 8 days for trekking across from New Orleans to San Fran (not including the stays in the aforementioned cities).

If you account for the 6.5 hrs per day travelling mentioned above, that means we are still left with 17.5 Hrs per day to for other stuff (ok sleep for 7 hrs but that still leaves us with free 10.5 Hrs per day for those 6 days). AND, we still have a spare 2 full days for random stays in obscure little towns & sightseeing.

I don't think that's too bad personally! But do you guys think that's pushing it or is that quite feasible?!?!

Finally, do you have any suggestions as to what attractions and sights we might want to add to our itinerary??

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Default Youthful Enthusiasm versus Cold Reality

Quote Originally Posted by Will78 View Post
    The plan is to spend a couple of nights in Miami, then catch an internal flight to New Orleans; from there we will hire a car and hit the road all the way to San Fran via Dallas (TX), Albuquerque (NM), Flagstaff (AZ) - Nearest city to Grand Canyon - Las Vegas, and Yosemite National Park (CA). According to Rand McNally that is a distance of 2417 Miles (i.e. 39 Hrs 30 mins total drive time at avg driving speed 61 MPH which is fairly gay but to be on the safe side).
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! I actually think that your 8 days allocated to the road trip portion is pretty sane -- but the logic of how you determined the travel portions of the trip is probably a bit over-optimistic.

If you follow the route you have outlined, and stop at the places you have referenced, you need to allow a full six days to make the trip. If you drove, flat-out, stopping only for fuel, it would take a minimum of 43 hours on those roads. If you limit driving time to the 6.5 hours referenced above, you need to expect to be on the road for six and half days. I think you can probably drive a few more hours each day -- but when you factor in spending some time looking at the sights and enjoying the experience -- you still will need every bit of 6-7 days to cover the route.
    Finally, do you have any suggestions as to what attractions and sights we might want to add to our itinerary??
    Here are a few threads you might find useful in your planning:
    Grand Canyon field report
    The Slick rock country of Utah and Arizona (this is a little out off of your route, but it still might be intriguing to you).
    Southern California to Orlando and back (sections would apply to your trip)
    Here is a must-look-at-thread for ideas about Las Vegas to Yosemite to San Francisco routes.

Happy Planning!

Mark

3. Default

Thanks for the speedy reply and the sound advice Mark!

Yeah, I thought that might be a tad too optimistic, but I suppose that's still within the 8 day driving period range we've accounted for. Because to be honest, we want to take in the surroundings as well and not just rush past everything towards the finishing line.