1. Default Family Road Trip- Minneapolis to Yellowstone

Hello - I'm planning a family camping trip for this coming July. We will be driving from Minneapolis to Yellowstone. We would like to stay in hotels along the way and then rent a camper (either pop-up or airstream) close to Grant Village campground at Yellowstone. My husband and I have two young sons -- 6 & 8. Any ideas for camper rental places, great routes, places to stay, things to do with young kids...

Help - we haven't been camping for quite some time! Suggestions welcome and appreciated! Thanks!~

Tucson, AZ

Default More than Enough for the Boys

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I'm going to admit right up front that I won't be able to give you specific recommendations for RV/camper businesses, just the general observation that you should be looking to see what's available in the nearby towns/cities, particularly Cody, WY and Billings and Bozeman, MT. But whatever you rent and wherever you rent it, this is going to be a great adventure for your boys. Although it is slightly shorter to take I-94 through North Dakota, I really think you should take I-90 through South Dakota at least one way, so that they can see Badlands National Park, Mount Rushmore, Wind Cave National Park, and all the other sights in South Dakota, as well as Devils Tower in Wyoming and Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument in Montana. This is a great trip to take with children the ages of your sons. And camping will be hardest on you, for the boys it will just be great fun. As for motels along the way, there will be enough choices along the highway that you can just wing it.

3. Default Yellowstone

Yellowstone is one of our favorite family destinations. We love camping in Yellowstone even though the facilities are primitive. There are not showers in most campgrounds, but you can buy a shower at the local hotels. Check out the website and click your way to Wyoming and Yellowstone to find out the specific information about camping, which campgrounds accept reservations and which are on a first come-first serve basis.

While in Yellowstone one of our childrens' favorite no cost activities was climbing in the massive rocks just outside of the Mammoth Village. While at Mammoth leave the park and go into Gardiner for a burger at Helen's. This old fashioned dive has the biggest and best burgers in the area. There is so much to do and see in Yellowstone. We are like to many other travelers, we were in Yellowstone 6 times before we ever went any farther than a road or scenic overlook. Once we finally ventured on one of the short hiking trails we really understood the beauty of the place.

As far as the drive.... we are from Iowa and I-90 all the way across Minnesota and South Dakota is pretty boring. But it's quick and gets you there. The kids enjoyed the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD, which is just off the interstate. Once you get to western SD the trip is more interesting. We've taken the trip many times and your route depends on which entrance to Yellowstone you want to use. I would guess that your best bet in finding camper rentals would be through Jackson and Cody. While in Yellowstone we always see tons of rented RV's, (usually they are the folks who are driving over the center line on the narrow roads !!) I'm sure a google search will give you plenty of choices.

Enjoy the trip!