Western Kentucky near Evansville, IN

Default Planning July Trip to Seattle, WA area

Hi, I am a first time poster here. My husband and I are planning to fly into SEA TAC airport and rent a car and then explore the pacific northwest. We really want to go up into British Columbia as well( we are thinking of the Hope area) . My main hope is to see the Pacific ocean, Public Market in Seattle, go whale watching and ride a ferry. We will probably have around 7 or 8 days. Any suggestions for which part we should start with and tips on traffic.

Tucson, AZ

Default Once Around the Straights

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You can do everything you say you want in a loop trip that could be done in a week and would go something like this. From Seattle head west and north up the Olympic Peninsula to Port Angeles and take the ferry to Victoria. Explore Vancouver Island a bit and take your whale watching tour from here and then take another ferry from Schwartz Bay to Tsawwassen (the mainland) and see Vancouver, the city. It's a simple trip on the Trans-Canada highway to Hope and back, returning to Seattle via WA-9 and/or I-5. Judy has written extensively on the Pacific Northwest, and here are some highlights of British Columbia.

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Or you could go the other way.

AZBuck has given you some great suggestions. Although I was thinking you might do it the other way. Drive up to Hope first, then
    * over to Vancouver BC
    * then ferry over to Vancouver Island to explore Victoria and the other sights there
    * take the Coho Ferry to Port Angeles, WA, and drive west on 112 onto the Makah Indian Nation to Cape Flattery (and here) to see where the Straight of Juan de Fuca meets the Pacific Ocean and the farthest NW point in the US
    * then go back on 112 through Port Angeles and take 101 to Port Townsend where you can enjoy a whale-watching trip
    * head south on 19-east on 104-south on 3-east on 305 through the lovely Scandinavian village of Poulsbo, then continue east on 305 to Winslow where you can catch a ferry to Seattle's waterfront. This is a great ferry ride as you cross over The Sound viewing Seattle's famous skyline. If you're really lucky "The Mountain will be out" and you will see Mt. Rainier looming over the city. It's an awesome sight.
    * You will be right next to the Public Market, Pioneer Square, and the fun stuff along the waterfront.

Anyway, that's how I'd do it. You'll see most of the same things AZBuck suggested with the added bonus of Cape Flattery and your view of the Pacific Ocean. Of course, you could still go the direction he suggested but then you'd miss that ferry ride. And the view really is something. If you hit a clear day when The Mountain's out yet cross at twilight when the city lights are starting to come on, it's downright wondrous.

Western Kentucky near Evansville, IN

Default Thanks for the suggestions

Thanks for the suggestions. We are still planning. All the ideas you gave me are exactly what we are looking for. Thanks so much. I will keep you posted