Default MN to Cali and back

Hey guys,

This is my first post on your site and I must say, I had no idea that a roadtrip community such as this even existed. I am planning to take a trip this summer with 2 friends. This will be my first road trip and i'm a bit freaked out, but determined to do it. We will be traveling from Minneapolis, MN to L.A. via Seattle, then back to MN probably via New Orleans, so it's kind of a box around the great plains. I will be meeting one of my friends in Seattle, where he will be flying into, and one of my buddies will be coming with me for the whole thing.
    I have about a month and a half set aside for this trip, and about $1000 personally, plus my friend's contributions. As college students, we're not looking to stay in hotels the whole way, or maybe even at all. We plan to camp the whole time, anywhere we can, cook cheap food and generally live pretty cheaply. My parents have agreed to pay for the gas, so that's covered.
    I should mention that my car is a 1998 Subaru Forester and it has a habit of breaking down ( I actually blew a radiator hose last night). Is there anything that I can do to prep this car for the trip? Or maybe some precautions to take just in case it does break down?
    Does this trip sound feasible? Will we likely go insane? As a first time road tripper and professional low-budget survivor, I have a few questions and concerns, but nothing that will really deter me from completing the trip. Thanks in advance for your input.

Default Feasible? Yes, if the car makes it

Welcome to the Roadtrip America forums!

This will be my first road trip and i'm a bit freaked out, but determined to do it.
    No reason to be freaked out. I might suggest that you do a few short, weekend trips closer to home to get comfortable with the idea first. A long trip is just like a lot of back-to-back short weekend jaunts strung together.

We will be traveling from Minneapolis, MN to L.A. via Seattle, then back to MN probably via New Orleans, so it's kind of a box around the great plains. I will be meeting one of my friends in Seattle, where he will be flying into, and one of my buddies will be coming with me for the whole thing.
    I have about a month and a half set aside for this trip,
    Good route. Lots of great things to see and do-able in about 1.5 months.

and about $1000 personally, plus my friend's contributions. As college students, we're not looking to stay in hotels the whole way, or maybe even at all. We plan to camp the whole time, anywhere we can, cook cheap food and generally live pretty cheaply. My parents have agreed to pay for the gas, so that's covered.
    Are your friends also contributing about the same? If so, money shouldn't be a problem. But don't get stuck footing the bill for everybody. Especially since your parents are paying for the gas. Very generous of them!

To get an idea of what you might need for a budget, you might check out these budgeting tips. Camping is definitely a big money-saver. Eating out of your cooler most meals and/or cooking at your campsite is also a major money-saver.

I should mention that my car is a 1998 Subaru Forester and it has a habit of breaking down ( I actually blew a radiator hose last night). Is there anything that I can do to prep this car for the trip? Or maybe some precautions to take just in case it does break down?
    Well, this is the biggest concern I see with your plans. Does anybody have a more suitable car you could drive for this trip? If not, I suggest you find a good mechanic and invest some money in a major inspection of your car. Get anything repaired before you leave. Make sure your mechanic understands that you're going to be taking a long roadtrip so he knows how important a good tune-up/repair is for you. And you might consider getting a membership in some kind of emergency road service plan. Make sure you have a plan to deal with a break-down on the road should it occur.

Does this trip sound feasible? Will we likely go insane? As a first time road tripper and professional low-budget survivor, I have a few questions and concerns, but nothing that will really deter me from completing the trip. Thanks in advance for your input.
    Yup....except for my concerns about your car, it's very feasible. I see no reason for you to go insane unless you simply drive each other crazy. You might want to take this Roadtrip Compatibility Quiz with your travel partners. It should help you come up with ways to not drive each other insane. Since you sound a bit on the youthful side, you might get some good help from this article, too.

We have no wish to deter you from doing this trip. We want to help you plan a great trip and do it safely. Let us know what else we can do to help.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 01-17-2008 at 02:37 PM. Reason: fixed typo