1. Default Summer road trip from Southern Florida to Maine

Hello- I am traveling from South Florida with my two tween age daughters. I would like some suggestions for fun, educational and region specific activities/site to see. We have an open ended time frame, as we spend the summer in Maine and have time on the way home to also see the sites. Any input wouldbe greatly appreciated! Is Route 66 or the Appalachian Trail routes good for children?
    Thank you!

Default Summers in Maine....cool!

Welcome to the Roadtrip America forums.

I would love to spend a summer in Maine sometime...just to contrast it with summers here on the coast in Washington state and see what it's like.

AZBuck wrote a great roadtrip report. He started farther west than you are but I'm sure if you read this, you'll get some good ideas. Savannah is often mentioned as a great place to visit. And if you go here, you'll find a post with links to some good information about New England. I'm not as familiar with the East, but if you've never been there, I think Washington DC is a must stop. I've made two trips there and there's still things I'd like to see more of. And virtually all of it is free, to boot!

Is Route 66 or the Appalachian Trail routes good for children?
    Well, I think any route that is good for an adult is also good for children. The Appalachian Trail is a hiking trail. You can't drive it. Are you possibly thinking of The Blue Ridge Parkway? You can get a lot of tips for driving that here.

I'm a bit confused about the mention of Route 66 which goes from Chicago to Los Angeles. Are you intending to take that big of a detour?

I hope that gets you started on planning. Please continue asking questions so we can help you plan a great roadtrip!

3. Default

Thanks for the information. Yeah, duh about RT 66. I realized after I sent the email my geographical error.

Default No problem

Easy mistake if you're not looking at a map.

Anything else we can help you with?

Default Educational Fun on the East Coast

Going back to your original post and your specific questions, the best I can offer you are some earlier posts and threads talking about very similar trips, including (besides the posts and threads that Judy linked to) some historic sites on the east coast, and a a possible loop trip between New England and Charleston, SC. Once you decide what you want to see, we'd really appreciate hearing back how that all worked out and what you found enjoyable

AZBuck