Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Vancouver BC, to Salt Lake City UT, to Los Angeles CA

Hi all!

I am heading out to LA for a few months from Vancouver, and will need my car so decided to drive. I also chose to stop by SLC on my way to go to Sundance, so I plan to leave in the next few days, depending on the weather conditions. Although I don't want to miss the festival, I am prepared to stop on the way if the weather is bad. From what I have read, neither straight down the I5 to LA or I84 to SLC are going to be easy in the winter so I'm looking for some advice as I really want to be safe.

Right now I have regular tires on my car that are a bit slippy in rain. Was planning to get the Nokian All Weather Tires which are good for severe snow conditions and city driving - as I wont be changing them in LA. And bringing along some chains and a winter breakdown emergency kit. I have a 99 Corolla.

What I'd really like to know if anyone can advise, is there are better way to drive that would be safer? If I do drive straight across turning at Seattle and taking the I84 straight to SLC, what can I expect in which parts of the journey? Are there areas which I should be deciding to stop overnight if it doesn't look safe to drive?

What about SLC to LA? I think I take the I15 most of the way. Any advice would be much appreciated as I am not an experienced driver, and definitely not used to driving in ice and snow.

Thanks
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 01-16-2008 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Preferred URL format herein

Default Watch weather reports

Really, this time of year, the best thing to do is to watch weather reports each day of your trip, and right before you leave, and pick the route that should have the best weather/driving conditions. There is no one best route.

All interstates have crews that keep them cleared as soon as possible. And they all are engineered to specs that allow for heavy truck traffic as well as passenger vehicles to share the road safely. So there really is no "best" road for a trip like this.

You might want to read this winter driving tips article. I'm really glad to read you're getting new tires appropriate for this trip.

Some states use 511 as a number to call for up-to-date information on the roads ahead. Some don't so you'll really want to visit the DOT's of all the states you're driving through and have a handy list of information numbers to call. That's another way to ensure you know of any changing conditions.

Having a NOAA radio with weather-alerts is helpful as well. And some folks really like having a CB to get traffic/weather updates from truckers, etc.

I'm really not sure why you think going down I-5 or I-84 aren't "going to be easy in the winter". Either route is just fine unless severe weather blows in.

Just in case you do end up having to sit on the side of the road for awhile, for example while road crews clear something up, you will want to have some general things with you to ensure your comfort and safety. At minimum, these would include a blanket, working flashlight with extra batteries, beverages/snacks, book to read or something else to keep you occupied (I would consider this a good time for a nap myself), proper clothes/boots/hat/gloves if you might want to get out and walk around. You might check out What to Pack in Your Trunk for more ideas.

Just heed safe driving rules, pay attention to changing weather patterns, and be prepared to pull over if needed, and I'm sure you will be fine.

Default Park City, UT area

Hello DaniB,

I have just returned from 10 glorious days in and around Park City and SLC. Here is some travel info of a general nature:

If I were approaching the area via I-84 and was bound for Park City accomodations rather than SLC, I'd be inclined to stay on I-84 to a point just east of Ogden, then pick up I-80 west, through Coalville and Wanship, to Park City. Doing so might be a handful of miles farther, but it avoids heavy traffic in the Ogden-SLC corridor on I-15 and also the Parley's Summit rise from SLC to PC, along I-80 eastbound. The summit rise is very well maintained and is 3 lanes all the way up, but it picks up around 3,000' and can be fairly congested and slow. By contrast, I-84 to I-80 west is wide open countryside and is a beautiful little stretch of highway.

Unless your tires are due for replacement, anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about changing for the trip. Over many years, I've observed some amazing efforts to keep the highways around PC and SLC open. Only in the heaviest of snowfalls do the roads get covered, and then for only a few hours at a time. The plows are huge and many, and they do an impressive job of keeping traffic moving on I-80 between SLC and PC.

During this recent trip, my son drove to PC from Ventura, CA, to join us, so he took I-15 all the way from the LA Basin to SLC/PC. Between roughly Cedar City, UT and Provo, UT, I-15 reaches elevations of just under 6,000' and snow, ice, or wind can be an issue. There are some 4,000' elevations between Las Vegas and Barstow, CA which have excitement potential, also, but he enjoyed generally clear roads and little traffic outside of the LA Basin. His trip up was a very early morning start and the trip back started at 9am on a Sunday. He reported heavy and very fast traffic between LV and LA on Sunday afternoon.

I've never been to Sundance, but my Park City host is a regular. Are there venues in SLC? Do you have tickets or a line on tickets? I heard my friend comment on the difficulty of finding tickets so wonder if a drop-by would be productive.

Have a safe trip,

Foy

Default Great details, Foy!

I'm sure that's going to be very helpful for DaniB. But I feel the need to mention that your advice not to worry about buying new tires might be appropriate for some people but not DaniB as he said "Right now I have regular tires on my car that are a bit slippy in rain." If his tires are slippery in rain, I think they would be downright dangerous in any kind of icey/snowy conditions. Heck, they sound dangerous in rain! Not to be nit-picky but I didn't want someone reading this make a bad decision that might effect their safety. Otherwise, wonderful information. thanks!

Default Great catch, Judy

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    I'm sure that's going to be very helpful for DaniB. But I feel the need to mention that your advice not to worry about buying new tires might be appropriate for some people but not DaniB as he said "Right now I have regular tires on my car that are a bit slippy in rain." If his tires are slippery in rain, I think they would be downright dangerous in any kind of icey/snowy conditions. Heck, they sound dangerous in rain! Not to be nit-picky but I didn't want someone reading this make a bad decision that might effect their safety. Otherwise, wonderful information. thanks!

Thanks Judy,

I'm guilty of not having read the original post throughly enough. Certainly any tires which are the least bit "slippy in the rain" are inappropriate for any road trip, summer or winter, dry, wet, or snowy.

Foy

6. Default

Well you'll all be pleased to know I fitted 4 new bridgestone blizzack snow tires on my car today and had a tune up. Its in tip top condition! Can't wait for my trip and now I have the confidence of the tires so I won't be as scared. But still plan to drive carefully. if any heavy conditions come I know I can cope and manage to get somewhere safe to stop.

Im going tomorrow to buy all my emergency supplies. Not planning on traveling in the dark at all. We'll see how long it takes. Was going to do an overnight stop in Seattle first to get a head start. Try to make it to Boise from Seattle, and then Boise to SLC.

I am aware of the ticket shortage. I;ve got some friends of friends...and going to buy a few tickets online that are still available....and just line up in the wait list lines for the rest (they let people in where there are empty seats in the first 15 mins of the screening,you have to line up for like 2 hours but thats part of the fun!)

Default Sundance Film Festival?

Oh, how cool. I sure hope you'll come back and tell us about your trip, what you've seen, and maybe even give us a movie review or two.

Your longest shot is Seattle to Boise. If you get fatigued, you Baker City or Ontario in Oregon both would be good stops. Boise to SLC is a fairly easy drive.

I wouldn't sweat driving at night at all if you're not too tired. It shouldn't be a problem as long as the roads are fine and visibility is clear. Of course, then you miss the sights a bit. Your call. But you should be fine, especially with your car's brand-spanking new shoes! :)

8. Default

Well I made it just fine.

I didn't get started until like 2pm Vancouver and I ended up stopping in The Dalles, OR, at around 9:30pm. Glad I did because it was so beautiful! The next day I started out at 7am. Sights were beautiful. The passes around Pendleton were fairly icey and snowy but lots of drivers, trucks putting on chains, overal it was clear and fine to drive.

Drove through some more passes in around Snowville UT, and arrived in Salt Lake at 9:30pm. I was a long drive, but the night was clear and I really wanted to get there that evening.

Sundance was amazing! Recommended films: Downloading Nancy (caution! very disturbing content), Phoebe in Wonderland (Brilliant good for most of the family), The Broken (good but very scary), other films I heard good things about but didnt get to see: Henry Poole is Here (with luke wilson), Choke, The Wackness, Man on Wire (Doc about tight rope walking between WTC's), Ballast.

Now I prepare for my drive to LA. will definitely be making an overnight stop in Vegas (how can I resist?). So setting off early tomorrow morning, weather depending.

Default Glad you made it safely!

And it sounds like a great time. We rarely get independent films in my neck-of-the-woods but, if I get a chance, I'll try to see some of your recommendations.

Let us know how the rest of your trip goes. And if you want to fill us in on more details about what it's like to visit the Sundance Film Festival, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to hear about it.

take care!

10. Default

Hey does anyone know much about the driving between SLC and Vegas? Because there are weather warnings but there were more when I went to SLC and I still got through fine. It says State warnings through Utah today, but I'm guessing tomorrow should be ok, by my current experience....any ideas?