Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Toronto to WDW with family

Hi
    This has probably been asked 1000's of times. I am driving from Toronto to WDW. I have drivin I75 and I90/I79/US19/I77/I26/95. We are going in early Feb. Which is the better way to go? I have been told I75 because of the weather and that the other way is no prob at that time of the year. The family is comming along and I want to got the fastest but safest way. Any suggestions or opinions would be great.

Default shorter

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Have the people who have told you that the weather on I-75 will be better told you the reason for this? Can they see into the future or do they think there is a forcefield around I-75 that makes it immune to mother nature?

Seriously, both routes could see snow, or they both could be just fine. Check the forecasts just before you leave, if one looks better than the other, then take that option. I-75 is about 120 miles longer and goes through more cities with traffic issues, so if other factors are equal, I'd take the eastern option.

3. Default

Are there any good sites that might give me a more accurate weather detail of these routes?

Default We maintain a very good list

First, I would take advantage of each state's 511 system. You can look at each one here for now.

We also use the wUnderground Trip Planner feature

Here are our recommended road conditions links.

Mark

Default Mountains vs. 120 miles?

Caveat: I've never traveled the entireity of either of these routes.

That said, I have a handful of maxims about Eastern US travel: Avoid I-95, avoid the Cumberland Plateau in West Virginia/Kentucky, and avoid large cities when possible.

As I follow the shorter of your proposed routes, I see you entering the mountains (of the Cumberland Plateau) north of Pittsburgh, thence the entire length of WV, some of it off of the Interstate system, and regardless of how good/bad US 19 is, you stay in the mountains to just outside of Winston-Salem, NC. Then you'd go directly through Charlotte, NC and Columbia, SC, then to I-95 between Columbia and Charleston, SC. Once on I-95, then through Savannah, Jacksonville, Daytona, and on to the Mouse House.

I guess the alternate I-75 route would have you enter the US at Detroit, thence through Ohio to Cincinnati, Knoxville, Atlanta, and on into Florida.

I'd personally rate the "cities to avoid" about equal, possibly preferring the I-75 route. Even with that as a "break even" the "avoid the Cumberland Plateau" and "avoid I-95" cards come up very positive to me. I'd drive the extra 120 miles, costing you maybe 1.5 to 1.75 hours, and I'd be assured that difference could be made up by much lesser traffic than you'd have along I-95, not to mention the slowness of so much up and down through WV. And if slowed-down snow travel is the worry, WV is the place that would seem to have the greatest potential for problems.

You say you've driven both routes. Wasn't the drive easier, overall, via I-75, as opposed to the mountains of PA, WV, VA, and NC?

Foy

6. Default

I drove both in the spring and summer so the weather was very nice. The mountains though up and down were beautiful to drive through. My main concern is driving with my little one. When it comes to the mountains do they ever block it off if you do not have chains? Oh what rout to take.

Default I have another view...

Quote Originally Posted by Foy View Post
    That said, I have a handful of maxims about Eastern US travel: Avoid I-95, avoid the Cumberland Plateau in West Virginia/Kentucky, and avoid large cities when possible.
    Well, I have have driven virtually the entire distance of this thread -- several times over the years, and while I recognize the traffic-related frustration expressed in your post -- I think there are some really great "discoveries" awaiting discriminating roadtrippers along both I-75 and I-95. Two of our colleagues produce a new guide book about both routes. My reviews are, woefully out of date, but here are some great tips about I-95, I-75 and Florida Expressways.

And each of those guides have great weather and road condition links (and where the local police have radar-traps set-up from year to year).

Mark

Default Not sure it has ever happened

Quote Originally Posted by CRABB3 View Post
    When it comes to the mountains do they ever block it off if you do not have chains? Oh what rout to take.
    I don't remember ever seeing chain controls on any part of I-95 or I-75 (I could be mistaken about this).
    My main concern is driving with my little one.
    Here are some family road trip ideas that might be helpful to you on that score!

Mark

9. Default

Well there is a very good possibility we will take I75. What would the mid way point be? I want to book my hotel now and make sure we are all set. Any suggestions on a Hotel?
    Last edited by CRABB3; 01-16-2008 at 06:10 PM.

10. Default Hotels in Knoxville on the I-75

I will be traveling down the I75 in Feb from Toronto Canada to Florida. Can anyone suggest a good hotel in that area and not to far from the I75?
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 01-16-2008 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Reinstated the Title (lost in the merge)