1. Default Honeymoon BBQ Tour

My fiancÚ and I are trying to plan our honeymoon which will happen at the end of October. He wants to take a BBQ tour of the Southern States and I would like to see point of interests besides food. :) We also wouldn't mind taking a road trip along the East Coast. We figured that we would fly into a southern destination and then rent a car drive around and then fly into an eastern destination and do the same thing. The problem is we have no idea what to do or where to go!! I know it's asking a lot but any suggestions/routes/tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Tucson, AZ

Default South + East = Southeast

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Some of the best BBQ I've had in the south was outside Charleston, SC - Ridgeville or thereabouts. One of the most romantic cities my wife and I have ever been to was Charleston, with a ton of things to do that would appeal to either you or your husband or both of you. October is also after the 'season' and so beach rentals, and I mean on the beach, are very reasonable. So, I guess I'm suggesting Charleston as one of your homes during the honeymoon. Then without the added expense and hassle of another plane trip, you could just meander up the coast along the Grand Strand of South Carolina and the Outer Banks of North Carolina, with maybe Washington as your goal. After you've spent as much time doing that at whatever pace is comfortable for you, you could be back in Charleston in one good day's drive from DC down I-95 and I-26.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Since there is a wide choice of many different styles of barbecue throughout the South (and indeed the United States), you will have plenty of options.

One of the first things to decide is - other than the food of course - what sort of things are you interested in?

Depending on how the weather goes this year, you may be able to catch the tail end of the foliage season in the Ozarks or into the Shenandoah Valley. You could head into the mountains of Tennessee, and find a nice place to stay up there.

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default My Suggestion to You...

Go to North Carolina and eat lots and lots of that great pit-cooked, vinegar-based, pulled pork Eastern Carolina style bbq. Couple that with cole slaw, hush puppies, and sweet

Just stop at any place advertising it and prepare for some great eatin'.

I'd suggest Wilber's in Goldsboro, NC, if you get by that way.

Western Carolina has bbq too with a whole different taste.

This Has Gotten Me Hungry. --RoadDog

Default Nc Bbq

It's abundantly clear that my colleague Road Dog knows his barbeque. The Eastern NC style is King! Eastern NC BBQ is whole hog, chopped or sliced, and is cooked over hickory coals with a vinegar-based sauce.

The Other Guys, in central and western NC, make barbeque from pork shoulders only, with a tomato-sauce based sauce. It's good, too, but entirely different than the Holy Grub from Eastern NC.

In Eastern NC, good places for a bite of BBQ include the following:

Wilburs in Goldsboro
    Kings in Kinston
    Bills in Wilson
    Parkers in Wilson
    Stephensons between Garner and Benson

In Central NC, much of the best 'que is in one town--Lexington. There you'll find Tar Heel BBQ and several others. Plus, the vinyards and winery established by NASCAR car-owner Richard Childress are on the outskirts of Lexington. Richard bottles--and I am not making this up--a product labeled as Fine Swine Wine--the perfect wine for Lexington-style NC BBQ. The shops of Richard Childress Racing are just a hop up the road at Welcome, NC, and his museum holds many of the late Dale Earnhardt's race cars.

Have a great trip!

6. Default

I'll second some of Foy's recommendations for BBQ in NC. Wilburs is probably some of the best BBQ I've ever had from that region of NC.
    I live in Charleston and we do have some great spots for BBQ as well, although completely different from E. NC. Charleston will also have charm and add that special bit of romance to your honeymoon. End of October is a good time to be here as the tourist season is starting to wind down and the weather is still beautiful. Some spots I would recommend in the area are:

JB's Smoke shack on John's Island -
    Duke's BBQ -there are several locations but the best ones are in Walterboro or Summerville

Avoid the bigger places in the downtown area where people will try to send you. They really aren't a good representation of what we have to offer. JB's is my favorite for the Q, location and general smoke shack atmosphere.

Sounds like a fun trip! Hope ya'll enjoy it and best wishes!