1. Default Suggestions for road trip with husband and 15 yr old daughter

I would love some help in planning a road trip for my family this summer. The problem is that my daughter isn't thrilled about the idea, but none of us have seen much of the country and we'll only have a few more years until she's out of the house, so I think this summer would be a good time to do it. I know we want to visit the Grand Canyon, but I don't know what else in that part of the country we should try to see. Also, we probably don't want to spend more than 10 days away. Since we live in Austin, TX, I thought we could fly pretty cheaply to Las Vegas and start from there. Any takers on giving me some ideas? Thanks in advance!

Default Get Her Invested

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

When I got married, I 'inherited' a 15 year old daughter. Let's just say it was wonderful but not easy. In any event, I think one thing that would get your daughter more enthusiastic about this trip is to get her to buy into it as her trip. If she's roughly one-third of the family, giver her 2 or 3 days to plan. Whatever she wants, as long as it fits within the overall constraints of the trip. Have her look over this website and others, as well as maps and guide books for ideas. Then she's responsible for those days: Where you go. Where you eat. What you see. Which roads to take. And if she has to go along with your 7-8 days, you have to go along with hers.

If you fly into Las Vegas, there is an awful lot to see within a day's drive or two including, but certainly not limited to, the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks, Death Valley, Los Angeles, San Diego, and the Red Rock country of Arizona. You won't be able to see it all, but you shouldn't be at a loss for things to see and do.

AZBuck

3. Default

Thanks for the great ideas! Since I'm new to the site, I don't know what all it has to offer. I'd love to find some sample itineraries from Las Vegas. I also thought we might want to do a spa afternoon in Vegas at the front or backend of our trip. Thanks again!

Default We've got a Million of Them

As it happens, RoadTrip America® is headquartered in Las Vegas, and Megan Edwards has written extensively about things to see and do in that city. Las Vegas is also one stop on what is easily the most discussed trip hereabouts. Besides the itineraries in those threads, you could also head up into Utah and see Zion or Bryce Canyon National Park, or head down into the Red Rock country of Arizona. What, exactly were you looking for?

AZBuck