Default I-10: Jacksonville FL to Los Angeles CA... need tips!

Hi there! I'm new to this forum and I'm not sure which board to put this thread in! I might be taking the trip late summer, perhaps early fall?

But alas... here's the deal!

I live in FL and I'm going to drive from Jacksonville to LA... I want to drive the entire length of I-10, beginning to end... then visit some family in Cali.

I know that I-10 is pretty dull, I've driven to Texas before, alllll the way across the FL panhandle and the swamps of Louisiana and the deserts of Texas... I haven't seen much but I was wondering if anyone has any tips for any fun roadside attractions along I-10? I find all KINDS of info about I-95, I-75 (even books!) and US 1, etc... but nothing on I-10? Can it really, truly be as boring as I think it is?

I'm taking I-10 there, but on my way home I'm heading north a bit and going through some old west towns in Colorado (Royal Gorge, Central City, etc...) so it's only a one-way on I-10. I look forward to the desert at night and seeing all the stars! I drove from Phoenix to San Diego once a few years ago, nothing like all those stars...

Sooo there ya have it! Please let me know if any great lil ma and pop diners, strange roadside attractions, museums, tourist traps, anything to keep me occupied! I love tacky stuff like South of the Border, so that should tell you my standards aren't too "high" regarding "fun" as I'm easily amused... :) Thank you!!!

Default Lots of those places still exist!

Quote Originally Posted by isthistakentoo View Post
    I might be taking the trip late summer, perhaps early fall?
    How is that you have so much flexibility in your road trip planning? That is pretty sweet. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    I live in FL and I'm going to drive from Jacksonville to LA... I want to drive the entire length of I-10, beginning to end... then visit some family in Cali.
    I can well understand the attraction to doing that -- I have done it 2-3 times.
    I know that I-10 is pretty dull
    I would disagree with this notion 110% -- I like West Texas especially.

Here are some resources for you.

Happy Planning

Mark

Default Boring is in the Eye of the Beholder

Well, I suppose any road can be boring if all you do is drive, drive, drive and pay no attention to what you're driving by, But within 20 miles of I-10 are: Okefenokee Swamp, Mobile Bay, New Orleans, Sabine National Wildlife Refuge, Space Center Houston, San Antonio, White Sands National Monument, Kartchner Caverns, Saguaro National Park, and Joshua Tree National Park.

Oh, and for pure tacky: The Thing in Dragoon, AZ.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 01-15-2008 at 07:18 PM. Reason: How could I forget The Thing?

Default ?

I just had a nice reply all typed out and then it said I wasn't logged in?? Bah! But anyways... thank you Mark for that link to the other thread; someone posted "roadside america" on there and it's exactly what I was looking for; a map of each interstate and what is right off of them... I'm going to stick to I-10 pretty close for my trip west so I need to find things that I KNOW are close to the interstate... "The Thing" will definitely be a stop... it's like South of the Border, all those billboards beckoning you, you cannot help but feel your car start to pull over on the exit!

As for flexibility... my job has sweet benefits, one of them is the vacation time policy. We regularly earn about 2.5 weeks of vacation time a year. But, with about 14-15 holidays a year (we're open 365 days, 24 hours) if you work on a holiday, you are paid an ADDITIONAL 8 hours of either more vacation time or more pay. I always take the vacation time. So now, my 2.5 regularly earned time is padded with about 10 holidays (I work as many as I can!) so I have about 4.5 weeks of vacation I earn a year! And you don't "lose it" at the end of the year; whatever you don't use just rolls over into the next year. It's January but I have about 3 weeks of time in my bank (not that I only used 1.5 weeks last year, keep in mind that I started 2007 with some leftover time from 2006 too). I'm going to VA/D.C. in a few weeks, Philly and Boston in April, New Orleans in May, then taking this trip around September... I don't take long trips, I try and make them as short as possible to keep as much vacation time as I can! Regarding WHEN I take my trip, as long as I don't take more than a month off at a time, it's "ok" to plan it whenever, just give a few weeks notice.

I feel ashamed for my comment about I-10 probably being boring; you'd think that by now I wouldn't listen to boring people who just haul from Point A to Point B... I love the roadside tacky stuff, the driving itself, cruising with the windows down, hair whipping around, radio blaring, singing along (really loud and off-key), wearing my pajamas and flip flops, hot coffee at my side, middle of the night, stopping at a Pilot to mellow out for a bit, in the middle of nowhere hundreds of miles from home... ahhhh... my poor car, I bought her brand new 6 years ago and she has 215,000 miles on her. I've driven to Chicago, NY, NJ, MA, TX and tons of other states but I want to go cross country and I decided it's "time"... :)

Default Can I come work with you?

Wow...you work for a very generous company, and it sounds like you're making the most of it!

I feel ashamed for my comment about I-10 probably being boring; you'd think that by now I wouldn't listen to boring people who just haul from Point A to Point B... I love the roadside tacky stuff, the driving itself, cruising with the windows down, hair whipping around, radio blaring, singing along (really loud and off-key), wearing my pajamas and flip flops, hot coffee at my side, middle of the night, stopping at a Pilot to mellow out for a bit, in the middle of nowhere hundreds of miles from home... ahhhh... my poor car, I bought her brand new 6 years ago and she has 215,000 miles on her. I've driven to Chicago, NY, NJ, MA, TX and tons of other states but I want to go cross country and I decided it's "time"... :)
    I love it! You sound like you'd fit right in with the rest of us roadies. You captured exactly why I love to do roadtrips solo. (OK, love bringing hubby along, too, but...gosh...sometimes being alone to act whacky like that and not have someone ask for you to turn down the tunes so they can nap or read is sublime!)

With all your travels, I bet you have a lot of good tips you can offer people. I hope you'll plan on hanging around here and helping other road-trippers out once in awhile.

And, yes...tsk! task! I won't chastice you too hard since you've realized the error of your "boring" statement. LOL Boring is all in the mind, isn't it? In fact, one of the things that can make a roadtrip not boring is looking for things to add to Roadside America's database of oddities. I've submitted a few things there myself. And we always appreciate someone coming back and doing a roadtrip report here.

Anyway, I'm not familiar enough with I-10 to get you any tips you don't already have, so happy travels!

Default You supply Doug's site, but not to RTA????

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    ... is looking for things to add to Roadside America's database of oddities. I've submitted a few things there myself.
    Doug Kirby (the owner of RoadsideAmerica) and I are friends -- but I would much RATHER have those roadside attractions on this site. We are always looking for roadside Marvels and roadside Murals on this site.

Mark

Default roadtrip reports...

Ahhhh... hopefully I'll publish a book someday about my trips! I started sending "mass emails" to my family and friends after my roadtrips detailing my trips. Alot of people loved them, some told me to never email them anymore "War & Peace"-like emails ever again! :) I've been slacking on some of them the past 2 years, I really need to get back with that. But now that time has passed from some of the trips, I do not recall all the details like I would have had I typed it right away like I usually do. My roadtrip emails aren't just about the road itself, my trips usually had an aim rather than a "need to get out!/Spiritual awakening" trip... I go everywhere for concerts so alot of my emails are made up of the experience at the concerts themselves. Alot of road stuff too...

But anyways! I have lots of pictures from the past few years, probably about 5,000 of them from the road. Again, mostly concerts, friends and things not exactly ON the road but lots of other road stuff! Alot of them are probably already on that database but I'll try to dig up and share the appropriate ones. (Nothing too horrible, but come on, everyone has seen the "Butts County" sign on I-75 in Georgia, what 21 year old didn't feel the need to pull over, show some cheek and have the moment captured forever?)

I'm so glad I found this forum! I cannot wait to hear all your stories and advice! :)
    Last edited by isthistakentoo; 01-16-2008 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Oops, I meant the Butts Co. picture is one that I would NOT post, don't worry... I wouldn't post that here!

Default Ahhh, mea culpa!

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    Doug Kirby (the owner of RoadsideAmerica) and I are friends -- but I would much RATHER have those roadside attractions on this site. We are always looking for roadside Marvels and roadside Murals on this site.

Mark
    I'm embarressed to admit that I spend most of my time within the forums and forget about all the wonderful stuff on this website. My bad.

I'll remember that next time I see something. Promise!