Default senior in high school looking for a memorable trip.

This May I will be graduating from high school. Most of my friends are going on the typical Cancun senior trip. I however want more of a memorable trip.
    I live in Alabama and i have no sense of direction. I want to go from Alabama to the Grand Canyon. Does anyone know how long I should give myself for the trip? Or how many people is too many people on a road trip? And should I just fly by the seat of my pants or do people normally call and make hotel arrangements located along the way? And finally is this roadtrip really worth convincing my parents to let me go?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Typical Senior Cancun Trip?

Welcome to the RTA forum!

Is a trip to Cancun really typical for seniors?

Regardless, You'll need 3-4 days to comfortably make the trip, each way. 3 days would be on the fast side, while 4 days would give you a little time to explore things along the way.

I don't know that there is such thing as too many people on a roadtrip, but once you get over 4, you start needing a second car, a second motel room, etc.

Whether this trip would be worth it will ultimately be up to you, but if your parents are ok with you going to a foreign city where drinking is legal at 18 and parties are expected, then I can't imagine that it would too hard to convince your parents to let you drive across a few state lines.

Default Route 66

So my friends and I are going on a road trip this summer. Our first stop is around the southwest. I've always wanted to be able to say I've been on Route 66...but people have told me that it isn't open during certain times of the year...and then other people have told me it doesn't even exist anymore. I was just wondering if what the said is true. Because if not I'd really like to do that on our trip this summer. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Partially true

First off, let me point you to our pages concerning Route 66.

Now, onto your other concerns. US-66 is indeed no longer considered a US route, so, technically, it doesn't exist anymore. It was decommissioned over twenty years ago. However, be aware that many portions of the route still exist, and are signed with an "Historic US 66" signage. Some portions of the route have been overlaid with Interstate highways, such as I-40 in Arizona; other parts of it are either access routes along the Interstate or lonely stretches of asphalt in small towns. It is still a popular route for road trippers, though its original purpose has long since been superseded by the Interstate highway system.

There were several alignments of the route over the years, meaning that the route the road traveled may have changed in some towns and cities, so in some areas there are options as to which way to follow the original road.

As far as not being open during certain times of the year, I can only think that whomever told you that was thinking of an amusement park ride. Certainly some sections of the highway may be closed due to inclement weather, but a scheduled thing it is not.