Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Maine to Pittsburgh

Okay heres the Deal, I am finishing up at my current college here in Maine in May. As soon as im done im heading out west to Oregon to attend another College. As far as money goes for getting out there i have that covered. But being a college student i dont have tons of money just flowing around lol.

So im hoping for some help planing the finer details, such as the best routes to take, and some cool stuff i can see along the way. i dont really have a time limit on how long it should take me to get out there, but i dont want to spend like 2 weeks driving.

So first one.... whats the best way to go from Maine to Oregon?

and second...... What is there to see along the way with out adding a lot of time. (im all about natural scenery stuff!)

Hope this made sense lol and Thanks to every one for the input

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Well, you've given us a fair amount of information about yourself to allow us to make some suggestions.

If you want to shoot across the country quickly, and you plan on staying in the U.S. then look no further than I-90. You could follow I-90 all the way to Wyoming, then hop off of that and head over to Yellowstone National Park, and spend a few days there, head up into Montana and Glacier National Park, skip a bit West and head through the hills of Idaho, then on to your destination.

One thing about the Western United States is you will find no shortage of incredible natural wonders from which to choose your next stop.

If you want a more direct route, plan on hopping up into Canada - you could cross New York and then take the 401 in Ontario. This would afford you unique opportunities along the Northern shores of Lakes Ontario and Erie. Just be sure you have a passport handy.

Keep in mind that if all you did was travel all day, by the most direct route, it would still take you five days to cover the ground you want to cover. Since you want to add in taking in the sights, you should safely figure on at least, I'd say, 10 days to make it a comfortable trip.

Tucson, AZ

Default Mixing, Matching, and Refining

The real beauty of a RoadTrip such as you're going to be making is that you are absolutely free to go wherever you want, and really, the only constraint that your budget puts on you is that your chosen route not be too much longer than the most direct way possible, since time and miles equal money. Tim's suggestion of I-90 is certainly the best option through western South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana and on to the coast, but east of there I think you have some other choices that may give you better scenery than the turnpikes through the Midwest. One such possibility is to head north first and enjoy one last trip through the White and Green Mountains as you make your way to Montréal, then follow the Ottawa River Valley on QC-40 and ON-17 all the way to Sault Ste. Marie where you would cross back into the States. Follow the southern shore of Lake Superior with a stop at Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. Then from Duluth cut diagonally southwest across Minnesota to join I-90 around Sioux Falls, SD. Such a route would be considerably more scenic than the U.S. alternative and only about 70 miles longer. You might even save enough on tolls to pay for the extra gas and time. The one bad thing about going through Canada, though, is that you will need proof of identity and citizenship to get back into the U.S. If you have a passport, that is best. If not, you will need to be carrying government issued photo ID (e.g. your driver's license) AND the original or a certified copy of your birth certificate or naturalization papers.

However you choose to get there, once on I-90 through the west, great nature spots that aren't too far from the main route would also include Badlands National Park, Mount Rushmore, Wind Cave National Park, Devils Tower, Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument, and you can finish off with the Columbia River Highway. As Tim said, there is no shortage of scenery in this area.

AZBuck (USM, '85)

4. Default

Sweet! That all sounds wicked Cool. Will give me one last bit of excitement before im back to school! Now this may be stupid questions, but i have to ask. Is there some way to Keep it Direct, with out spending all my time on the highway? ya know like in the movies when ya see people driving across country and there just doing down this really long road with nothing but empty valleys of sand and random rock formations? or am i not far enough south? LOL ya i know but i had to ask.

And Glacier National park looks AMAZING! How is Canada? Ive never been. my only fear with going through canada is that from what is one several forums here, and what people tell me its a very remote route to take, and i could go a long time before seeing a gas station. And as im Driving my Jeep out to oregon that could be a bad thing!

Tucson, AZ

Default You Don't Really Believe Everything You See in the Movies, Do You?

There are still a few long stretches of totally open road, and every movie uses the same locations over and over and over. But for someone who is stuck here in the real world trying to cover over 3000 miles to expect such driving any significant portion of their trip is just too much. Don't we all wish it were otherwise! The suggested routing through Canada has some good open segments especially once you get west of Ottawa, and the stretch across the UP of Michigan is as unfettered a road as you'll find east of the Mississippi. Now I have driven that route several times, almost always in the dead of night when most service stations were closed and I never had a problem. Just keep an eye on your gas gauge and know your car's range. The run through Minnesota would likewise be on a fairly unobstructed state route, MN-23. And, as I said, that whole 'bypass' of the industrial northeast U.S. adds only 70 miles to your overall distance.

Default The Great North Woods--the UP

I concur that a trip across Michigan's UP is a worthwhile excursion. Have a look at taking in the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, near Munising, MI.

Regardless of what exact route you'd take, the UP features long stretches of nothing but forest, rivers, and lakes and is a real hidden jewel.

7. Default Northern route places to see...

I recently finished a similar road trip (Maine to California, although probably not as direct as you intend to). I found that things became more and more interesting as I went west (of course, I grew up on the east coast so things didn't feel too different until about Chicago).

If you want to see pics and stuff of the places I went to on the way that might interest you, I kept an extensive blog of the trip (including stats on gas, lodging, etc etc):

P.S. I think those open canyons with rocks etc. that you see in movies like Forrest Gump are more south, for example Monument Valley AZ. However, a really cool place on the northern route that'll give you that expansive feeling is the Badlands in South Dakota. While you're there, definitely hit the tour of the nearby MinuteMan Missile site!

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 12-22-2007 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Preferred URL format herein

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Open Canyons?

Quote Originally Posted by wlandrew View Post
    I think those open canyons with rocks etc. that you see in movies like Forrest Gump are more south, for example Monument Valley AZ.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! I am not sure what you mean by "open canyons" -- plains? There are canyons all over the central and northern sections of the USA (Rocky Mountains, Bitteroots, Cascades, etc.)
    However, a really cool place on the northern route that'll give you that expansive feeling is the Badlands in South Dakota.
    Yeah, the Badlands remain one of my favorite places -- here is a field report.
    While you're there, definitely hit the tour of the nearby MinuteMan Missile site!
    Here is a field report from this place as well. Thanks for the suggestions!

9. Default

WOW, Thanks you all for the info! This should be one heck of a trip. Seeing as the farthest ive ever been is Ohio! If ya have more sugestions keep them coming!

10. Default Maine to Pittsburgh

So im heading to Pittsburgh in may, NOT Or, lol some stuff with the school fell through, so im going to a school in PA, (which turns out to be a better school) So what im wondering is is there anything worth while to see from maine to pittsburgh? a friend said Salem mass would be cool to see. but any other places or things?