Default The Allure of Big Sur

After our high school graduation, my friends and I are planning on taking a road trip from St. Louis to San Francisco (and to the site of Jack Kerouac's book, Big Sur), and we were wondering if anybody had any suggestions as to what we should go see along the way. We're kind of more interested in nature sightseeing, cacti, native american ruins, history stuff, so anything like that would be greatly appreciated!

Also, our parents are voicing some concerns about safety on this trip. I didn't think that we would run into any trouble, but if you have any tips or words of advice on that matter, please let us know!

And finally, I was wondering how common youth hostels are along the way. We'll be paying for this trip by ourselves, and we would really like to find cheap, but comfy housing, so if anyone has information on that, that would be wonderful as well!

Thank you!

Welcome to the RTA forum!

As far as easing your parents concerns, we've got an excellent article that talks about exactly what you are dealing with. Teenage Roadtrip? is something that both you and your parents should read.

Hostels are out there, although I wouldn't go so far as to call them common. This article gives a nice overview and directory of Hostels in the US. They can be a real good option to cheaply stay in the heart of a city, just be aware that you usually are charged per person, so if you've got 3-4 people, the costs of hostling could be more than just renting a cheap motel room.

Default First Major RoadTrip!

Quote Originally Posted by bigsurkerouac View Post
    After our high school graduation, my friends and I are planning on taking a road trip from St. Louis to San Francisco
    One of the routes you ought to consider is to follow the historic Lincoln Highway -- here is a great book that gives tips for finding and following the first transcontinental highway in the USA. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    Also, our parents are voicing some concerns about safety on this trip. I didn't think that we would run into any trouble, but if you have any tips or words of advice on that matter, please let us know!
    Here is an article you can share with your folks about teenage road trips, here is a quiz, you ought to take with your fellow travelers , and here are some safety tips.
    And finally, I was wondering how common youth hostels are along the way.
    One of the RTA sponsors runs a booking service for hostels and here is a good article about the range of hostels in America. Here is an excellent overview for determining the costs of such a road trip adventure!

And finally, you have got to stop and see this waterfall when you reach the Big Sur:

Photo by Roadie -- more information about this magical place here.

Happy Planning!

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 01-14-2008 at 05:10 PM. Reason: added a photo

Default Ahhhh, the great emancipation roadtrip!

Every graduate should get this experience. Just read that article and do what you need to do to prove to your parents that you're mature enough to take on this trip.

And if budget is an issue, let me suggest camping. That will always be your least expensive option. Hostels often charge about $20 or more per person. Camping is usually about $20 per campsite.