1. Default Chicago to Los Angeles on the north route

Coming over from the UK, I have been considering a trip from Chicago to Los Angeles, not using route 66, but using the northern route through Nebraska, Colorado, Utah and Vegas. We are not too bothered about the California end as we are staying with friends, and have been here for the past three years. Wanted to see more of America.

We are considering doing this in an RV with our 16 yr old daughter and our American friends daughter, question to all those of you on this forum that know better, should we be doing this. General route would be I80, I76, I15, allowing 14/16 days for the trip and venturing off where possible. It has come to my mind we could start off at Denver and slow it down through Colorado and into the parks of California.

We are travelling last two weeks of June, first week of July, although am flexible.

What about RV stops on the way, are they plentiful. I would appreciate your thoughts, thanks

Default Perhaps the Lincoln Highway?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Fitz View Post
    Coming over from the UK, I have been considering a trip from Chicago to Los Angeles, not using route 66, but using the northern route through Nebraska, Colorado, Utah and Vegas.
    An alternative route would be to incorporate as much of the historical Lincoln Highway into your plans as you can. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! The Lincoln Highway was the first transcontinental highway running from New York to San Francisco. Oddly, some sections of it have never been paved and are relatively unchanged over the last 100 years or so. Here is a great book about the road and how to explore it.
    We are considering doing this in an RV with our 16 yr old daughter and our American friends daughter, question to all those of you on this forum that know better, should we be doing this
    RVs can make excellent platforms for exploring America. It will never be a cheaper option than using a rental car -- but they offer plenty of choices. Here is a good overview about why you might wish to consider RVing over motels....
    What about RV stops on the way, are they plentiful. I would appreciate your thoughts, thanks
    There are hundreds of RV parks along that route and you can also boondock in hundreds of more places....

Happy Planning!

Mark

I concur about the book - excellent read!