1. Default San Diego to Vegas - May 08

In May we'll be heading to Vegas. Normally we fly but we've decided to drive this time. The last time I was in a car heading to Vegas I was 10. *grin* So I'm turning to all of you for suggestions to break up the drive.

We are not in a huge rush to get there and were wondering if there are any fun or cheesy spots to stop along the way. I know the drive is mostly desert and there is not likely any stopping points in that area. We've already got State Line and Calico on the list as places to wander about and stretch our legs. We are also looking for unique or fun but still good places to stop for lunch/snacks.

I'm hoping the traffic won't be to bad as we are leaving Sunday and coming back Sat so we will be going the opposite direction of most people.

Thanks in advance!

Default Three days of attractions enroute!

Quote Originally Posted by Jocosa View Post
    So I'm turning to all of you for suggestions to break up the drive.
    That would be easy -- I have long maintained that it can easily take three days to drive between San Diego and Las Vegas, with all of the amazing things you can see and witness on that route. Since you want to do it a single day -- you will have to miss most of the really good things. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Here are some suggestions for possible routes between San Diego and Las Vegas.
    I know the drive is mostly desert and there is not likely any stopping points in that area.
    I don't think you have really looked around that much yet....
    I'm hoping the traffic won't be to bad as we are leaving Sunday and coming back Sat so we will be going the opposite direction of most people
    Yeah, that should work pretty well for you -- one possible place for food -- that you are unlikely to find on your own -- the cafe at the 29 Palms Inn and hiking to the top of the highest dune at the Kelso Dunes is very memorable -- for a sunset picnic!

Mark

3. Default Places to stop...

Assuming you're taking the "fast" route up I-15 from San Diego to Las Vegas, let me note some things along the way from memory...

Miramar Marine Corp Air Station -- home of the Top Gun fighter school.. Keep a look out for fast moving jets...

Escondito -- San Diego Wild Animal Park, San Pasqual Battlefield Memorial, Queen Califia Scupture Garden

Temecula -- Wineries

Fallbrook/ Temecula -- Semi precious gemstones (several places not too far off the road let you dig through the tailings from the mines)

Palomar Mountain (home of some of the world's largest Telescopes -- about an hour off the road, since you have to drive east a bit, and then go up the mountain to the Observatory)

Lake Elsinore/ Perris -- sky diving, gliders and hot air balloons. Look to the sky to see if you see these -- both places have large jump & flight centers.

Orange Empire Railroad Musuem -- Perris California

Riverside -- California State Citrus Historical Park. Do you like Navel Oranges? This is where they were first developed, and home of the "Orange Empire"

March Air Force Base (now a reserve center, but there's still a base aviation musuem with things like B-52s and whatnot on display)

Riverside -- the Mission Inn. While this is a 3 star hotel, it's a turn of the last century Mission Style hotel, that was build by a family which collected art work from all over the world from around 1900. Very funky -- Napoleanic cannon in the garden, Chinese Temple bells around the gardens, a Rennaisance chapel on one corner of the roof, a 30' reclining gold Buddha behind one bar, Medieval stained glass in the hotel hallways, catacombs under the building with lots of interesting things in them, etc etc. And oh yeah -- artwork everywhere. I've been to musuems with fewer California landscape paintings than you can see on the walls of the hotel by just wandering around...

San Bernadino - Rancho Cucamonga. You cross old Route 66 here. There are numerous old Route 66 landmarks here, including one of the old Wigwam Motels in Rialto.

Cajon Pass -- San Andreas fault. You cross the San Andreas Fault here -- it pretty much goes up Lone Pine Canyon.

Victorville -- California Logistics Airport. Ever wonder what happens to jet aircraft when they aren't needed? There are a few airports around the US where jetliners are 'stored' or recycled for parts. This is one.

Barstow -- Harvey House Hotel (and Route 66 Musuem is there too)

You mentioned Calico which is a semi-restored old Ghost Town. But also just south (between the 40 and 15 freeways) are some large solar energy installations in Daggett. These include the old Solar II solar tower and some large fields of PhotoVoltaic and Solar thermal trough systems. No tours or anything, but since there are several dozen more of these fields going in an interesting side note.

Mojave National Preserve -- lots of stuff. Including large fields (Forests?) or Joshua Trees, huge sand dunes, old historic road depots, crumbling cavalry outputs, lava domes, cones and flows, etc. Even deep natural caverns (in Providence Mountains State Rec area in the middle of the National Preserve).

Baker -- home of the world's largest thermoter and a couple of iconic burger/ gyro joints...

Stateline Nevada -- particularly if you like roller coasters...