1. Default Boston/DC to Anchorage

I want to drive one way (there or back), but ship the car in the other direction. Looks like 5200 miles? Has anybody done this recently? At all?

Default shipping?

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

How much money do you have set aside for such a trip? I'm pretty sure "ginormous" wouldn't even begin to describe the amount of money it would take to ship a car from Anchorage to/from the East Coast. At the very least, in your shoes, I would look at using the Alaska Ferry to take your car down to Washington state and then have it shipped from there. That won't be cheap either, but I suspect it would be a lot cheaper and easier to find a way to make this possible.

The driving part shouldn't be a problem. There are lots of resources dealing with traveling the Alaska Highway, and your 5300 mile estimate sounds about right.

Default One of the RTA sponsors could do that!

Quote Originally Posted by AlpinePower View Post
    I want to drive one way (there or back), but ship the car in the other direction.
    uShip is one of the RTA sponsors and I am sure you can get a very competitive rate from them (be sure to remind them that your found their site from the RTA Web site...) Here is an overview of their services.

I used the Shipping Estimator on that site and plugged in a shipment of a light truck from Anchorage to Boston and the cost was $603.77 (and you can get better rates by participating in their auctions) I then use the RTA Fuel Cost Calculator Tool and plugging in 5200 miles, 25 mpg and $3.75 per gallon the fuel cost alone would be $780.00 and so I think your idea makes a heck of lot of sense!

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 01-12-2008 at 04:31 PM. Reason: added some test data

Default Wow, that's all?

That's an incredible rate. I've looked at shipping cars a fraction of that distance and I've never seen a price anywhere near that low. If you really can get a car shipped from Alaska to the east cost for that price, then it would be a great idea for a trip.

Default It does seem pretty low

Michael,

uShip.com operates like e-bay.com (they provide the mechanism for seeking transport bids and take a portion of the transaction as a processing fee). I have never used the service personally, but the rates they are quoting look like ones listed elsewhere on the site, so I think that is a "real" rate. We really need someone to use these services and then report back to us.

Mark

6. Default

it looks like the answer is "no"

7. Default It's a 2 part shipping issue..

I've had cars shipped across country, and I've known several people who've had their cars shipped across overseas, and one family that shipped their vehicle to Alaska.

The problem for shipping a car from Anchorage to Boston is it's a 2 part shipping arrangement. All of the other ones I've noted above where 1 part -- you load it on a vehicle carrier (which then takes the highways to deliver it), or it goes on a barge or ship which delivers it. Anchorage to Boston is going to go in 2 parts, if it ships like normal cargo. It'll be loaded into a container, the container will be loaded onto a ship, the ship will take it south (probably to San Pedro/ Long Beach as its the biggest container port in the western US), and then it will be offshipped from the container ship to a rail head and go by rail to Boston. (It could be offloaded somewhere like Seattle, and go via car carrier on the highway as well...)

$600 seems very cheap -- I had a quote to ship a car across the continent from a vendor a year ago for $700 using an enclosed car carrier -- and that price didn't include the shipboard transport from Alaska to CONUS. Shipping a car from LA to Hawaii for example, is priced on a "Special" for $1055 from Ship-My-Car.

If you want to investigate this, ask for a quote from some of the established car shipping companies. People ship vehicles to and from Alaska all the time, and there are established shipping companies for this. They vary in price and service as you would expect. One of the Fairbanks Alaska web pages offers these companies as established ones for shipping a car to and from Alaska: -- Ship-My-Car, Auto-Transporter, & Totemocean. American-Auto in Anchorage claims they will provide 10 quotes from different carriers if you request one.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 01-18-2008 at 10:42 AM. Reason: It is a SEO thing -- so preferred URL format herein

Default Excellent Resources

Larrison,

Those all look like excellent web resources -- thanks for listing them.

Mark

9. Default

I am looking to return for a visit to AK this summer. I lived there 18 years and have driven the Ak Highway and other routes 1/2 dozen times. I am an older professional, perfectly clean driving record, live in NH just an hour from Boston. I'd love to drive there again!

[Editor's Note: Normally, we would discourage this type of post here -- but it does make some sense, so it stays...]
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 01-18-2008 at 03:48 PM.