My name is Ricardo, I'm a 34 year old web designer from Portugal and in a couple of months I'll be going with my wife to travel across North America for a period no shorter than 6 months. During that time we want to see USA and Canada to the greater extent possible.
When we saw Jamie Jensen's book, we were immediately caught by the romantic idea of road tripping America and focus on the trip and not on the destinations, contrary to most travel we do abroad.
But after reading dozens of threads here I became aware that road trips are much more expensive than they seem and there's a lot of issues one doesn't take into consideration when planning for something like this, most times because we cannot see past the picture where we're driving down an open road on a sunny day and life is perfect =) hence my cry for help bringing me down to planet earth!
Hope you more experienced folks can help us out!
Here are the facts:
- We have no time limit - kind of, no shorter than 6 months, no longer than 1 year;
- We will work during the trip - our freelance jobs allow us to do that, we only require an internet connection;
- We have family and friends in some states - where we can stay longer periods and work for a bit;
- There's only one driver - I don't have a driver's license;
- We tend to go with the flow - instead of following a strict plan.
Here's my doubts:
- Considering our time frame, would you advise that we buy a car?
- Are there any other renting deals similar or cheaper than Hertz's Florida Drive Out?
- Should we break it down to smaller trips (maybe in between the states where we have family or friends) instead of a huge trip?
- Considering that we want to stay as longer as possible and see the most of it, should we opt for Greyhound coaches as our primary mean of transportation? Can we beat the $99 for any trip longer than 2800 miles on a car trip?
- Last but not least, our trip will start in May, any advice on routes or starting point? I was thinking about working our way from north to south (following the summer).
Thanks in advance! =)