1. Default Atlanta to San Francisco

I have recently accepted a promotion with requires me to move to California from Atlanta. I'm absolutely thrilled about the promotion because I absolutely love the Bay Area.

I've basically sold everything in my house and have already found a renter for my home for the next 16 month (things are really coming together). So now I'm preparing for my next part of this promotion which is the actual move.

Since I've sold everythign I've decided that instead of shipping my car and flying I'm going to take the drive - just me an my daschund Heidi.

I was wondering if anyone on her has ever done the Southern Drive across country. There are things I definitely want to do along the way. I haven't been to New Orleans since the late 90's so I'd like to drive through there and have a look. I'll probably have to stop in Dallas for a night (our corporate offices are there and I'll have meetings to attend). I want to make a stop in either Santa Fe or Albuqureque (maybe both). I want to see the Grand Canyon and spend a night in Vegas as well.

Can anyone provide some tips or maybe some other sights I may not want to miss along the way? Do you think a week will be enough to do this trip?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Congratulations on the promotion!

Welcome to the Roadtrip America forums.

Your trip is do-able in seven days but you won't have time to linger too long and explore things. Adding a few extra days will really open up your options. Your trip is about 3200 miles. Now, that's just basically the highway miles without stopping off for gas/food/lodging/etc. Your actual mileage will probably be at least 10% if not 20% higher by the time you're done. You should expect just the 3200 miles to take you roughly 50-55 hours, give or take a few depending on traffic and other conditions, to drive. Over 7 days, this averages about 7.5-8 hours on the road each day. As you can see, this doesn't leave you much time for those meetings in Dallas and exploring.

I might suggest that you save Grand Canyon and Las Vegas for another time. I'm thinking that future vacations from San Francisco to those areas will be fairly easy to do. You could do a trip to both with just one week off. This would leave you time to focus on the areas a bit farther east that it might be harder to get back to.

I'm not sure what kind of tips you're looking for. As a solo roadtripper, I think the most important thing is to have a good idea of where you're going and to have somebody at home that you're in contact with who knows your itinerary. It's also a great thing to have some kind of emergency road assistance available to you. Did you have more specific concerns in mind?

So, in essence, what you want to do would work but you will really have to keep moving.