1. Default New York City to Omaha,NE in late Sept. early Oct

I´m from Germany and I´m planning a road trip from NYC to Omaha, NE with my grilfriend (September, 30th - October, 4th or 5th). We are thinking about taking the I-80 for most of the trip and we don´t want to be on the road for more than 5 days (2 day stay with a friend in Chicago implied). Is that actually possible? I saw that long stretches of the I-80 aren´t toll much do I have to calculate on toll?

Besides that I´d like to know if you could give my advices on cheap car rentals and what kinda car we should rent (reliability is most important :-))

Hope to hear from you!

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

NYC to Omaha can be driven quite easily in three days via I-80, giving you time to stop in Chicago for a couple of days.

I-80 through Ohio is a toll road, and at last check, the toll would be $10.25. I-80 in Indiana is also a toll road, you can find more information about it here.

The car you rent should be based on a couple of other things - what will you and your gear fit in? What vehicle is the most comfortable within your budget? What vehicle will give you the best mileage per gallon? Generally, rental cars go from the Nissan Versa all the way up to full-size vans. Most rental agencies should offer some form of roadside assistance should reliability be a problem.

3. Default

what would you say is the best and cheapest car rental?I read sth. about 500$ dropp off charge if you use alamo....that´s tons of money

Green County, Wisconsin

Default that's typical

Rental car rates and fees can change pretty dramatically from company to company, and even from day to day. The only sure bet is to shop around and if you find a price you like, lock it in.

Drop-off fees are normal for one way rentals, and $500 for that fee is not at all uncommon or all that unreasonable. Rental cars typically stay with the particular rental office, so they usually have to retreave cars sent on one way rentals.

As far as reliability goes, I wouldn't worry about it. All major rental agencies will be dealing with cars that are no more than 1 or 2 years old, so having problems would be rare.