1. Default Mendocino to Denver in these storms?

Hi All,
    I plan to be traveling from Mendicino to Denver in late January 2008. I'm a visitor to Mendocino and the storms here have been ferocious. My question: would it be best to travel to LA where I can stay with a friend, then take the southern route through Vegas, Albuquerque, then up into Denver via I-25? Or does the northern (and faster) route seem doable? It goes through some hefty mountain passes. If I go AZ and NM, I only have Flagstaff and La Veta as my two mountain passes, and they are very mild. Insights? I'm already grateful for your input--oh, and I'll be driving a used new car, a Jeep Liberty, and so I'll be getting used to that, too. Many thanks!
    Howl.

Default I wish I could be there now!

Quote Originally Posted by howl View Post
    I plan to be traveling from Mendocino to Denver in late January 2008.
    I love being in Mendocino during winter gales -- I am really envious of your current location. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! If you have time, be sure to swing by The Ravens for some good chow!
    I'm a visitor to Mendocino and the storms here have been ferocious. My question: would it be best to travel to LA where I can stay with a friend, then take the southern route through Vegas, Albuquerque, then up into Denver via I-25? Or does the northern (and faster) route seem doable?
    The recent Pacific storms have really put our "normal" advice on hold -- but in general, if you can find a normal January weather pattern -- it makes much more sense to head mostly east over to I-5 and then I-80 to Salt Lake City. At that point, if the weather seems reasonable you can cut down to I-70 or stay on I-80. Driving all the way to LA makes very little sense and you are just about guaranteed to hit nasty weather on I-40!

Mark

I've done both, so here goes: If you take Hwy. 20 over to the Clearlake area & on to Williams - well, I've run into SNOW going across Clearlake in the winter! Not often, but it happens. You'd just have to keep in touch with CHP. Once in Williams, if the weather's okay, you could probably continue on 20 right beyond Grass Valley - BUT ... you COULD run into snow, it just depends on weather, doesn't it? Also, I've more than once run into snow going along I-40 around Flagstaff, AZ. All I can say is, check weather reports, check with AAA, check with CHP, & keep checking, & it could be fine, or it could be HELL, with you slipping all over the road. Personally, I wouldn't GO to Denver in this season, but that's just me. By the way, I live in Fort Bragg. Happy trails!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 01-09-2008 at 12:37 AM. Reason: corrected the Highways & removed the e-mail address

4. Default Many thanks!

Hi Ellie and Editor,
    Thanks so much for your replies. I think I feel the weather here more, as I am living way, way out at the Point Arena Lighthouse--no weather breaks or wind barriers in the least. So this is some good and sane advice. Ellie, where is Willams? Is that still in CA? And would you advise going into Bodega Bay and then over to 101, or cut over sooner, say at Booneville? Fort Bragg is so near by! Many thanks!
    Howl

Default I-80 in Utah at present

I have the great good fortune of being in Park City, Utah in the middle of a 10day ski trip. Today's my "off day" and it began by my driving another couple to the Salt Lake City airport at 8am for a 10am flight. It has snowed like crazy up here since Saturday, up to and including the present moment.

It was a little slow going down to SLC on I-80 from Parley's Summit what with it being rush hour and the road covered in slush. But, as I neared the mouth of the canyon at the outskirts of SLC, the cavalry was headed up--4 giant plows staggered front-to-rear and side-by-side. They completely cleared the uphill sections of I-80 and were at the top of the pass headed down as I returned from the airport. These people are well-equipped professionals and much of the economy is tourist-related. There is simply no routine longer term road closures that I'm familiar with.

Yes, you can find short-term closures along I-80 or any other western interstate this time of year. I am a firm believer, however, that you buy yourself more risks by adding distance to the trip in an attempt to run away from weather, a run which may well be unsuccessful to begin with.

And, one of the other couples has rented a Jeep Liberty. It is a very capable snow vehicle. I drove it up a the steep driveway through 9" of fresh snow laid over packed snow this morning and she never spun a wheel.

Have a safe trip,

Foy

Default 100% in Agreement!

Quote Originally Posted by Foy View Post
    I am a firm believer, however, that you buy yourself more risks by adding distance to the trip in an attempt to run away from weather, a run which may well be unsuccessful to begin with.

And, one of the other couples has rented a Jeep Liberty. It is a very capable snow vehicle. I drove it up a the steep driveway through 9" of fresh snow laid over packed snow this morning and she never spun a wheel.
    Utah and Colorado have superb snow removal teams and equipment. One can find dangerous conditions, but the major highways are always the best bet for winter time travel.

Mark

7. Default Thank you!

Excellent Info! Thank you1