Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default San Francisco-Yosemite-Las Vegas-Los Angelos tour March 08

G'Day everyone... My wife and I are heading over from Australia on 4th March, 08 and starting our trip in San Francisco. We're spending three nights in San Francisco before joining a coach tour (easy for us seeing it's our first trip) which will take us to Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, L.A. and back to San Francisco on 18th March.

We are then renting a car for five days and heading back down the coast to L.A. to go to Hearst Castle, Disneyland of course and whatever we want...mainly eating I reckon!

It has been a dream of mine to visit the U.S. since first watching Disneyland on tv back in the 60's... Yes I'm old but that happens to you when you're waiting for your kids to grow up and leave home!

A couple of things that I've been wondering about are:

* What is the best way to get from San Francisco Airport ( mid morning) to the Fishermans Wharf area.

* What's the story with tipping... How does it work and how much is the correct amount. In Oz you 'might' tip if you really like a meal for instance.

Thanks in advance and I'm so glad I found this site...

Mick

Default You're never to old to visit The Mouse

I'm old enough to remember Cubby, Bobby, Darlene and Annette....I always wanted to be Darlene. :) And it's still one of my favorite places!

Welcome to the Roadtrip America forums!

I don't know San Francisco well enough to answer that question. But I can give you more information than you ever wanted to know about tipping. We had an extensive discussion about it in this thread. You will have to read through a bunch of other stuff to find it though. One of the first things you'll notice is that none of us totally agree on the tipping rules. It's kinda subjective. That thread should give you enough ideas to determine how you want to handle the situation.

Sounds like you have a great trip ahead of you. Anything else we can help you with?

Thanks for that Judy..

With regard to the transfer from S.F. airport I'm presuming there are a few options. If I was to give advice for someone flying into Sydney, Australia it would depend on the time of the day and distance you would have to travel that would make the difference. If you were staying in the actual downtown Sydney area it would only cost $20 or so but to go further out into the suburbs you could catch a train.. Anyhow, that's the sort of info I need..

Loved the info about tipping..very interesting to see the differences of opinion. I do tip in Oz if the service is good especially for taxis and restaurants, but there is no set 15 or 20 %

My friends and family that have travelled in America reckon that food is cheap there and the meals are BIG... I'm wondering whether there are still 'diners' as shown in movies. I want to feel the culture of the U.S. (even though some would say that Australia is a mini U.S. these days!) I want to eat Maccas over there ...well maybe once..

One other thing that disappoints me is that the pre season baseball games are being played in Arizona... I was really hoping to see a MLB game in L.A. or S.F. Maybe next time..

Thanks again for the info..

Mick

There are some contact details for airport shuttle buses on this page. I don't know for certain if that helps, but hopefully it does!

As for McDonalds... ewww, nooo. Just no!

Quote Originally Posted by MickTux View Post
    With regard to the transfer from S.F. airport I'm presuming there are a few options. If I was to give advice for someone flying into Sydney, Australia it would depend on the time of the day and distance you would have to travel that would make the difference. If you were staying in the actual downtown Sydney area it would only cost $20 or so but to go further out into the suburbs you could catch a train.. Anyhow, that's the sort of info I need..
    I understand. I wish I could help. I'm sure someone will pop in here eventually who can.

Loved the info about tipping..very interesting to see the differences of opinion. I do tip in Oz if the service is good especially for taxis and restaurants, but there is no set 15 or 20 %
    Well, that's just a guideline. Wait staff in the US are typically only paid minimum wages and really depend on their tips to make ends meet. I think good service should be rewarded. It's rare I tip less than around 20%, give or take a bit. I tend to just do easy math by doubling the cost of the meal, then dropping off the last digit to make it 20% of the total, and then rounding up to the next dollar. So, unless service was horrid, my tips tend to be a bit above 20%. Do what makes you feel comfortable.

My friends and family that have travelled in America reckon that food is cheap there and the meals are BIG...
    And Americans tend to be a bit on the big side as well. :) I often can't finish my meal so I'll ask for a "doggie bag" and take the rest home to eat later. "Doggie bag" is a common term here in the US so you can use it if you like. If you don't trust me and think I'm trying to play a prank on you, just ask for a container. Most restaurants have them.

I'm wondering whether there are still 'diners' as shown in movies. I want to feel the culture of the U.S. (even though some would say that Australia is a mini U.S. these days!) I want to eat Maccas over there ...well maybe once..
    I guess it depends on what movies you've been watching. The true diner is pretty rare. However, there are a lot of places that have the "feel" of a diner left. Here's a list of some places you might want to check out. And here's a page of links to other websites that you might want to check out. Most of these aren't technically diners, but you should find plenty of places for a good meal. Diner City does limit itself to information on true diners. All of these should point you to some great dining experiences.

Does "Maccas" mean McDonalds? Well, to each their own, I guess. ;)

One other thing that disappoints me is that the pre season baseball games are being played in Arizona... I was really hoping to see a MLB game in L.A. or S.F. Maybe next time

My dream road trip is to attend a ballgame in every major league park. Wouldn't that be a hoot? Arizona isn't all that far away for Disneyland. Could you add a couple days to your trip to make a swing over to Arizona and catch a game or two? It's about 350 miles so you could drive there one day, see a game that evening, and return the next day. Seems a shame to come so far and to miss out on a great American experience like that. Pre-season games are a blast. You are closer to the game and have more of an opportunity to interact with the players than you ever would at a regular season game. If you love baseball, it will be worth it.

Thanks for the replies guys..

I only mention McDonalds because it originated in the U.S. so sadly tends to bring America to mind! ;) I might even drop into Burger King just once as well.. over here Burger King is known as 'Hungry Jacks' btw. I tried McDonalds in Japan btw and it tasted similar to the stuff you get in Oz. A highlight of Japan was a visit to a traditional Japanese restaurant and have never forgotten it..That's where the idea to visit a 'diner' comes from I suppose.

I ride motocycles so another dream one day is to have a ride across the U.S.....on a Harley of course!

Mick

Default Hungry Jacks!

I actually like that better than Burger King. And the commercials for BK are kinda scary. Big plastic Burger King guy is kinda creepy.

Well, hopefully those links in my other post will direct you to some diners and other eating establishments that will make you feel like you're getting the true American eating experience. While I can see you wanting to check out McDonald's once to see what they're like here, I think there are better places to get an idea of American food. And you should find some there.

To be fair, different parts of the country have different traditional foods. What is traditional in the Northeast is different than the Deep South which are different than the Pacific Northwest which is different from the Midwest. And it's really hard to even know what is typically American because we've absorbed such a mish-mash from other cultures. Americanized-versions of Italian, Mexican, Chinese, Thai, Japanese, French, Vietnamese, and numerous other cultures are in most any small town in America these days.

But good food is good food and, hopefully, those links will help you find some places you will be glad you ate at. Enjoy!

Oh, and there are places here that rent Harleys. You need to plan your next trip across the south, on a Harley, stopping at spring training camps to catch the games along the way. LOL

So many different cultures, as you say, but the best seems to have passed you by in many areas. Why is it so hard to find a good Indian in every area that I have visited in the US? aargh! :)

Default Indian food?

Good question. There are a lot of Thai places around but I don't even know if I've ever seen an Indian restaurant. That's kinda odd, isn't it? But, then again, I haven't been looking for one. ;)

Amazing really. It's our national dish! I did find one in Florida which was pretty good but not top notch. Then again, hardly surprising when you consider the number of Brits that go to Florida.

Anyway, getting somewhat off topic, sorry...