1. Default Coming to America

Hi everyone,

I'm from London and my friends and I are travelling to Vegas in October to celebrate my birthday and we want to then take a road trip from Vegas to San Francisco but we're not sure what the best route would be, can anyone help us please?!

We'll be spending 7 days in LV and will have a further 7 days before we fly back to the UK and would like to spend 3 nights in San Francisco.

Thanks, Kim

Default A perfect time of year

Quote Originally Posted by UK Kim View Post
    I'm from London and my friends and I are travelling to Vegas in October to celebrate my birthday and we want to then take a road trip from Vegas to San Francisco
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! I have long held that the perfect month for road trips in America is October and so I think you are in for a real treat! Death Valley and Yosemite National Parks could both be on such a route from Las Vegas. Here are some of our favorite suggestions for such routes.

Mark

Will you be spending the duration of the seven days in Vegas, erm, in Vegas? I personally would break it up with a trip or two because, as great as Vegas is, there's only so much of it you can handle before your sense need a rest! If this was the case then the places that you would visit on these 'breaks' could affect the suggested route from there to San Fran. Possible places that you might like to visit might be Grand Canyon, Zion, Death Valley and Yosemite National Parks.

Default RoadTrip Central Location!

Quote Originally Posted by UKCraig View Post
    I personally would break it up with a trip or two because, as great as Vegas is...
    I think UKCraig hasn't spent much time here. It is impossible to run out of things to do in that time span within 20 miles of the Las Vegas Strip and you can always use Las Vegas as your "base camp" for road trips within 8-10 hours of Las Vegas. We chose Las Vegas as our base of operations, in part, because of the superb choice of road trips within a day's drive (or less) from 'Vegas....

Mark

Precisely my point. You can't stay in Vegas for seven days straight - you really need to get out and see some of the many other places to visit in the area - because your senses won't cope with seven days of 'The Strip' without the contrast of 'the real world' :)

6. Default Vegas/San Francisco

I agree with an earlier reply that you may want to consider more time in San Francisco. Vegas is great but in my opinion there is a whole lot more to do and enjoy in San Francisco.

Default Las Vegas is more than the "strip"

Quote Originally Posted by UKCraig View Post
    because your senses won't cope with seven days of 'The Strip' without the contrast of 'the real world' :)
    I guess I was trying to reference the other aspects of visiting Las Vegas that are not located figuratively or physically on "the strip".

Mark

Well I guess we're talking the same language then ;)

9. Default

Thanks for the responses guys!

While we're in Vegas we want to do a few day trips, go to the Grand Canyon and the Colorado River, visit the Hoover Dam and Lake Mead and maybe Mojave if we have time, (what is that like, is that worth a trip?) and also see one or two shows so we'll have to plenty to keep us entertained for 7 days :)

So taking all that into consideration, which would be the best route from Vegas to San Francisco and what would be the best places to stop off on the way?

10. Default A couple of options..

Quote Originally Posted by UK Kim View Post
    [ ... ] , which would be the best route from Vegas to San Francisco and what would be the best places to stop off on the way?
    That's a pretty subjective question.... The usual advice is to go roughly from Las Vegas to Death Valley to Yosemite and across the Central Valley to SF. You can make it from Las Vegas to San Francisco in a day's drive but not stopping really anywhere to explore -- but, there are a couple of options that need to be considered...

The shortest and probably most scenic route is to go (roughly) from Death Valley north to Lee Vining (small town) and then over the Sierras through the Tioga Pass. This brings you down on the western side of the Sierra Mountains just north of Yosemite Valley in Yosemite National Park. However, this road gets closed by snow every fall, and doesn't open until spring because of the huge snow pack on it -- it's very scenic, but it goes over some high mountains on mountain roads, so its not a high speed highway. In October, there's a good chance the Tioga Pass road will be closed -- but there's also a chance it will be open too. So you'll need to watch the weather for that option.

If Tioga Pass is closed, the next shortest route is to go around the southern end of the Sierras through the "high desert" west and north of Barstow to Bakersfield, and then up along the eastern edge of California's Central Valley to Yosemite. That road almost never sees snow, and takes you through the Mojave. It's a bit longer, but the roads are faster in general, and takes you up past Sequoia National Park, so you can visit there (although you have to go up into the western edge of the Sierras to that National Park, then back down to the Central Valley before heading north to Yosemite).

From Yosemite to San Francisco is about a half day's drive, heading east and north across California's Central Valley to the Bay Area.

Another option is to continue on across California to the coast (either from Yosemite, or the Bakersfield city area), and go up the coast through the scenic Big Sur area to San Francisco. From Yosemite to the coast is about a half day's drive, and about the same to the Coast from Bakersfield. From the southern end of the "Big Sur" drive (Morro Bay, west of San Luis Obispo), its about a day's drive to San Francisco via Carmel/ Monterey.