Thread: newby

1. Default newby

i'm planning a first trip to the US from England. I want to do a classic Chicago-St Louis-SW Deserts-Las Vegas-Los Angeles-Highway1-San Francisco route. but while i've wanted to do this for a while, the practicalities are far from settled. i'm travelling with 3 others.

So...

1) What's the best way to get hold of a real cheapo car that can be sold on at the other end? Any companies known?
    2) How long should we leave for a proper in depth trip?
    3) Is there anywhere on that itinerary we're really missing (obv exluding East Coast)?
    4) Motels? Or camping?
    5) The route roughly follows that of R66. But i know that lots of that has been replaced by I40 (except bits of Arizona and Oklahoma). If we want to do the trad smaller two lane highway kind of trip, does anyone have any bright ideas for our particular itinerary?

And that's about it for the time being. Any help greatly appreciated. x

Default How long a trip?

Quote Originally Posted by NGA View Post
    i'm planning a first trip to the US from England. I want to do a classic Chicago-St Louis-SW Deserts-Las Vegas-Los Angeles-Highway1-San Francisco route.
    My first question would be -- how long have you allowed to cover this route? Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Pedal to the metal, you could probably cover this distance in two weeks, but to really see the country in these regions could easily take 2-3 months.
    but while i've wanted to do this for a while, the practicalities are far from settled. i'm travelling with 3 others.
    The four of you ought to take this quiz and use the results as you being to plan this trip!
    1) What's the best way to get hold of a real cheapo car that can be sold on at the other end? Any companies known?
    Generally, we recommend that you not attempt to purchase a car unless your trip exceeds a month or so -- but there are several ways to do this -- and there are a number of discussions about how to do it in the Gear-Up Section.
    You might find this thread on budgeting helpful as well.

Mark