1. Default Las Vegas To Richmond Virginia

Can anybody provide directions that will not take me through states heavy ladened with snow and mountains? I plan on traveling in eary March 2008.

2. Default

weird- did you read my thread: advice?

we are coming from Richmond, VA to Phoenix or Las Vegas (depends where we can get the cheapest flight).

From RVA to the west we are going: Charlotte, NC; Atlanta, GA; New Orleans, LA; Houston, TX; somewhere in west TX, maybe then Santa Fe; Phoenix, AZ; Flagstaff, AZ

It certainly is a long southern route but warm and scenic!

Green County, Wisconsin

Default popular

Welcome to the RTA forum!

We've had a few people asking us about travel either too or from Richmond lately.

We've also had a ton of people asking about least snowy, least mountainous routes for winter travel, and in that case the advice is pretty much the same. The shortest route is usually the best, because it give you'll be on the road the least and thus have the least likelihood of hitting a storm. Beyond that, if you have a couple of routes that are similar in distance, then wait until just before you leave and find the route that looks like it will have the best weather.

In this case, there are two routes that are almost identical in terms of miles: "I-40 to I-81 to I-64" or "I-15 to I-70 to I-64"

The I-40 route is more southern, but that's not a guarentee of clear weather, even in March. Its not mountain free, but if you are sticking to the Interstates, mountains shouldn't be that much of an issue.

I-70 will take you right over the heart of the Colorado Rockies, but it does spend a little less time in the mountains of the East. If it were me, this would probably be the route I would choose because of the scenery, but if avoiding mountains is your top goal, then you might not agree.

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Winter Driving

Winter weather can be whacky. Don't assume that going farther south is always going to result in better weather. Parts of the southern routes go through mountains and other higher elevations and can be prone to ice and other road conditions that will require adjusting your driving in order to be safe.

If you're on a tight timeline, it's best to take the shortest route but know of alternative routes available to you in case weather requires you to change your itinerary

If you're NOT on a tight schedule, then go the way that takes you through the scenery you most want to see but know of alternative routes in case weather requires you to change your itinerary.

In general:
    * Watch the weather reports every morning before you leave your hotel. You might need to change your itinerary during your trip due to the weather, or even hold-up in your hotel for an extra day if there happens to be a big storm. If possible, you might want to have a day or two extra planned into your trip in case you get held-over in one spot for awhile.
    * Many states use 511 as a number to call for current road conditions. Not all use this number though. So you might google for the websites of the Dept. of Transportation for all the states you might be traveling through and jot down their information phone numbers. They could come in handy.
    * Have good maps. Do not leave major roadways to take any short-cuts through more remote areas.
    * Make sure you have basic emergency supplies in your car. This would include, at minimum, a first-aid kit, extra blankets, extra food/drink, flashlight with working batteries (and spare batteries), and appropriate winter boots, coats, hat/gloves, in case you have to be outside for awhile or even do some walking. You might check out the "What Do You Pack in Your Trunk?" thread for more detailed lists of ideas.
    * Chains might be required in some areas. You might want to purchase some before you leave home and practice putting them on. It's easier to learn how to use them this way than to try to do it during a snowstorm in the dark.
    * Read Uncle Bob's tips on winter-driving. This is excellent and worth your time.

Don't let any of this make you nervous. Thousands of people drive these routes in the winter and do it safely without any problems. I just believe in being prepared.