1. Default SD-vegas-zion-yellowstone-yosemite-SF

hi! my boyfriend and I are planning a roadtrip in april/may for 3.5 weeks, but are not sure which route would be the best to take. We love hiking so are planning to spend as much time as possible in the national parks, not sure though which parks need most time to explore the well. Our plan thus far looks like this (see below) but I would actually like to add lake tahoe and take some days off yosemite or do you think that would be too much of driving all in all? Any other other ideas, or places we should add? many thanks in advance for your advice!
    1 San Diego
    2 San Diego
    3 San Diego
    4/5 travel in 2 days to Grand Canyon via Joshua Tree Park
    6 Grand Canyon
    7 Grand Canyon
    8 Grand Canyon
    9 travel to Bryce Canyon
    10. Bryce Canyon + travel towards zion
    11 Zion
    12 Zion
    13 travel to Las Vegas, stay overnight
    14 tarvel from vegas to death valley
    15. Death Valley
    16. Death Valley
    17. travel to yosemite (south or west entrance necessary probably)
    18. Yosemite
    19 Yosemite
    20 Yosemite
    21 Yosemite
    22 Yosemite
    23 travel to SF
    25 San Francisco
    26 flight home

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Slowly

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

It looks to me like you've got a very relaxing trip in front of you. You've give yourself plenty of time to enjoy all the places you've laid out, and I only see one or two days where you'd have to be on the road for most of the day.

Considering when you are traveling, I think adding Lake Tahoe in between Death Valley and Yosemite would be a great idea. Since Tioga Pass will most likely be closed, you would either have to go south around to Bakersfield or North to Tahoe anyway to cross the Sierra. Tahoe would make an excellent spot to break up that trip.

I wouldn't worry about cutting a couple days out of Yosemite. Its a magnificent place, but even if you only spend 3-4 days there, you'll still have plenty of time to enjoy the place.

The Netherlands

Default Nice trip

Unless you want to hike to the canyonfloor and back (2 days) your visit to GCNP is rather long. Also maybe visit Page and see Antelope Canyon, Horseshoebend overlook, Glen Canyon Dam and Lake Powell or take a smooth waterraft. Yo easily can spend 2 days here. Maybe visit Monument Valley first. GCNP-Monument Valley, stay the night, drive to Page. Then to Bryce-Zion etc.
    Also, have you thought about Sedona before your visit to GCNP? Great surroundings. If you don't like Las Vegas you might drive in one day from Zion to Death Valley. I also would give myself some more time in San Francisco. One day is very short for a visit.
    Have a great trip.

4. Default thanks!

Thanks for your advice! I'm very excited about the trip and can't wait to go :-)

5. Default SD-vegas-zion-yellowstone-yosemite-SF

First of all I would like to thank the people behind this website and everyone else answering loads of questions because it is incredibly handy and useful!
    secondly; I recently posted a spring road trip from SD, vegas, grandcanyon, zion, deathvalley, lake tahoe, yosemite,to SF. While reading though, I found myself really attracted to go to yellowstone. Do you think adding yellowstone (I know it's real far and not on the route) would make sense (24 days total time)? Esp since we'll arrive in late april? south entrance will still be closed. (I'd leave out deathvalley)...
    some advice would be great! I can't choose anymore between all those beautiful parks!
    many thanks again!

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Yellowstone is very cool

But do you have the time? Well, you do have plenty of days in your schedule. If you didn't mind cutting a day from some of your stops where you are staying multiple-days, you could make it work. Would it be worth it? And is missing Death Valley....a very cool place, too!...worth doing to see Yellowstone instead?

Only you can really answer that. You should probably spend some time checking out the activities and places that are accessible within the Yellowstone at that time of year before you make your decision. Pay special attention to the links about Operating Hours & Seasons and Seasonal Closures. If this fits your desires and you think you would like Yellowstone better than Death Valley, it might be worth it.

I think the ideas Michael and Yeehay gave you about things to add to your trip and the tweaks they suggested make more sense.

If I were you, I think I'd leave Yellowstone for another trip. You could plan a lovely loop including Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, Glacier, Devil's Tower, Badlands, Black Hills, Rockies, Arches, etc. for another trip. That makes more sense to me than driving that far out of your way to add it to this trip. Why mess up a great itinerary?

But, really, it's your decision. And if you do it and enjoy it, that's what counts! But I think it would be a shame to miss the amazing Death Valley area, too.

Let us know what you decide!