1. Default

Hi Folks,

I'm planning on taking a cross-country road trip really soon from New York City to Los Angeles. I've had some experience with shorter road trips to neighboring states, but this time I'll be on my own for the first time and on a much longer trip.

Most of my plan is to take I-70 west, and then switch to I-15 south until I hit LA.

I'm looking to get there in the shorts amount of time, but willing to kill myself doing it and I don't mind enjoying the scenery along the way. If there's a route with less traffic and a easier drive I won't mind it, even if it were a bit longer.

Also, some once suggested switching to the Historic route 66 since it ends at LA. Not sure If I should take that instead?

If anyone has any suggestions, advice, or tips I would really appreciate the help.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 01-03-2008 at 01:09 PM.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default you're there

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think its pretty hard to beat I-70 through Colorado and Utah for scenic beauty. Its really one of my favorite stretches of road in the entire US.

The path of route 66 would be another possibility, although the highway is technically decommissioned, replaced by I-55, I-44, and I-40. There are still plenty of things to see along the way, it just depends on what sort of things you'd rather see.

Both trips would be very similar in distance and travel time if you stick to the Interstate.

3. Default

Thanks Michael, I appreciate the help.

If there's a route with less traffic and a easier drive I won't mind it, even if it were a bit longer.
    How about a bit more scenery after I-70? Instead of heading south on I-15, take US-50 from where it joins the I-70 near Salina. Follow it all the way (it's known as the Loneliest Road In America!) to San Francisco and then head down the awesome Pacific Coast Highway. It'll undoubtedly add time to your journey but, wow, the scenery will be gorgeous!